Which Cake Will Stay Good For 2 Days Without Cooling?

Decorating By Monkess Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 6:00pm by Monkess

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 7

It is my sisters birthday and we are going for a trip 6 hours away the day before her bday. Naturally I would like to make her a cake and take it with us and have her cut it the next day.
Just a simple, 2 layer 8" for 4 people.
We are going by car, so I will leave it in the trunk. If I make it monday, travel tuesday, cut on wednesday...what do you think will last?
She loves my fresh fruit and cream(Richs non dairy) but I doubt that could stay out, I am going to ask the hotel on tuesday if they can keep the box in a cooler but that is IF...I want to make something that can withstand in the trunk till Wednesday.
I was thinking more of a blueberry crumble...but that has no frosting and no decoration and is oh-so-boring! icon_sad.gif Any ideas?

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 7

can you compromise on the fresh fruit thing? If you don't have a perishable filling, you don't have to worry about refrigeration at all. I never refrigerate my cakes and they taste nice a fresh even 7 days later (as I recently confirmed wiht my own birthday cake last week). Heck even for summer deliveries, I dont' even worry about putting the van's AC on super high ... just high enough to cool ME off! icon_smile.gif

Monkess Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 7

So Debi, are you saying I can take a regular BC cream with say no filling but more BC (ummm?) and that would be okay in the trunk 2 days? I have never tried that...I guess I could work around the fresh fruit, maybe add strawberries at the hotel?
Also any idea if this works for BETTERCREME? She would prefer that over regular bc; especially since I will have to compromise on the fruit and cream.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 7

My cakes are iced and decorated on Thursdays for a Saturday wedding and they sit on my counter until they are delivered on Saturday. I'm confident they will travel just fine in your trunk. If you leave them in the trunk or store them in your hotel room is your call. They will hold up fine either way. I use the sleeve fillings (red raspberry, strawberry, etc) and they hold up fine.

Monkess Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:14am
post #5 of 7

Thanks Debi...anyone know how BetterCreame holds up?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:50am
post #6 of 7

Rich's Bettercreme Handling Instructions:
(For ready to use, but also applies to liquid after whipping.)

http://tinyurl.com/yt4eyu

HTH

Monkess Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks...it says it should be good for uptp 5 days below 80F....sounds positive!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%