New Scam

Business By Monkess Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 10:39pm by indydebi

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 12

Hey everyone
It seems the "Happy Married Life" cake scammers have modified their act and are targeting caterers/restaurants...please be careful. God knows why they cant get a life and a honest livlihood icon_eek.gif
Below is an email we recieved from an industry website:

Dear Valued Clients,

It has been brought to our attention that restaurants are being contacted by an individual or individuals who are trying to defraud the restaurant of money. These people are pre booking parties, and paying by money order or cheque. Then they are cancelling the party and asking for "only" half the money back in cash, saying that the restaurant can keep the rest of the money for their inconvenience. Several days later the restaurant finds out that the money order or cheque bounced. Please be careful when dealing with these types of situations. If this happens, please report it to the police, and to MenuPalace.com so that we can make our customers aware of these scams, and prevent the industry form being defrauded.

Sincerely
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary Lipovetsky
President
MenuPalace.com Corporation

11 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 12

Wow, it takes all kinds...

I don't accept checks or money orders...

Cash or Paypal only!

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 12

It should be common sense of business owners to make sure that checks or money orders have cleared before they return any money, but I guess some people don't think about it. Thanks for the heads-up!

teswade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teswade Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 12

This almost happened to me on craigs list. It's everywhere and can happen with anything. It is really sad that you don't know who you can trust anymore.

Larrimore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larrimore Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 12

OK I am confused. How can money orders bounce?

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 12

Money Orders can have stop payments placed on them just like checks.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 12

I make sure that I give it time to clear before I do anything. Down payment to hold the date and then full payment well before the cake is due. So if it didnt clear, its considered a non-payment and says right in my contract that I have the right to book someone else and ignore the order if an attempt to rectify it isnt done. I also charge a fee for bounced checks.
You have to C.Y.A. because there is just too many people out there trying to get things for free and screw people over. Its a sad world we live in.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 12

I generally try to cash checks at the customer's bank.

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:10pm
post #9 of 12

I have read somewhere here about the same scam but using stolen credit cards, of course, you get the money to your account, the one that really has to pay is the original owner of the c.card, or something like that. So sad this people think they deserve to have whatever they want at others expense.

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:32pm
post #10 of 12

A few years ago a friend of mine sold a decked out 4 x 4 truck on Craig's List. He was paid with a bogus cashiers check. Luckily he had the sense to tell the prospective buyer that he couldn't take possession of the truck until the check cleared. Of course he got a call from the bank, called the police, but the buyer was long gone by then.

Unfortunately these scams have been around for a long time...they're just getting more sophisticated.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:34pm
post #11 of 12

Ugh, don't these a-hole wankers have anything better to do?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:39pm
post #12 of 12

If they would just use their powers for good actions instead of bad ones! If they would just choose to be Batman instead of The Penguin! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%