Standing Buildings

Decorating By jouj Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 10:15am by jouj

jouj Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, I'm making a spiderman cake. It's a big sheet cake, with buildings on top (made with cake). I'm afraid that the buildings might fall, one of them is 10" high. I thought about inserting bamboo skewers, that reach the bottom cake, but I'm afraid that this would carak the building from the middle.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.

7 replies
j-pal Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 8

Do you have support in this 10" cake? General rule of thumb would be to have support approximately every 4". Bamboo skewers won't necessarily crack the cake, but if you don't have support (which I'm assuming you don't because you can't get bamboo skewers all the way through if you did) then it may very well crack under it's own weight. Let us know what you've done so far, and then maybe we can advise better.

kakeladi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 8

You need lots of support. As j-pal said, a skewer isn't going to be enough. The support needs to start at the bottom (in the sheet cake) and for every 4-5" you go up you need to put a cake board *&* straws (or other dowels).

jouj Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for your answers.
I finished the base cake so far, and I'm covering the buildings with fondant.
I thought about putting a cake board under the building, but thought that this way, the building won't "stick" to the base.
I'm very confused about what I should do: use skewers all the way through the base, or put a support under the building.
PS: the building looks like a skyscraper, it is 5x4" wide, and 10" high in all.

Thanks again for your help.

j-pal Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 8

Wow - that's pretty tall and narrow. Here's how I would've done it.

Sheetcake like usual. Mark with a 5x4 cardboard where the cake is going to stand. add support. I would take a wooden dowel that's about 5" long and put it right in the middle.

Building... build it like a wedding cake. 2-layers on a cardboard (with a hole in the middle for the dowel) - support - next 2 layers on a cardboard.

I would cover the building with fondant and then place it on the sheetcake right over the dowel, up through the middle of the building. Because the size of the building isn't too big, I probably wouldn't bother with trying to put a dowel all the way down through the middle. One coming up from the bottom should hold it secure. Does that make sense? The cake does need support, though. Good luck!

jouj Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks j-pal, I will try the way you said it, but I don't know if I'll be able to make a hole in the middle of the cardboard!! icon_redface.gif .
Oh, I already covered the building with fondant, I thought about putting evey 2 layers on a cardboard, but ended up not doing it!
So now I'll try to make hole in the cardboard, and do as you said.

Thanks a lot, again. icon_razz.gif

j-pal Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 8

That's going to be very difficult after the fact! Are you using a sturdy cake? Like a pound cake? If you can handle the "building" at all, you might be able to turn it on it's side, remove the cardboard, put a hold in it, and then re-attach it with some icing? Only try this if the cake is fairly easy to handle. I would place a cardboard along the side of the cake, and then carefully turn it on it's side. Good luck and I hope it doesn't collapse! Please post a pic when you get it done!

jouj Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:15am
post #8 of 8

Thanks a lot, again. I didn't use cardboard in the middle of the cake, but it was fine. I has been standing for 2 days, and nothing moved, they picked it up this morning, no disaster so far. icon_wink.gif
I think the base cake was sturdy. I only used a cardboard under the building, with a stick going from the building to the base cake.
I'll post the photos sometime tonight.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%