Need Help With This Cake

Decorating By cashley Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 4:36pm by cashley

cashley Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 5

Hi I have been asked to do this cake which is a bottle in a wine crate. I have written to the owner of the pic with no response. If anyone has any help as to how to do the bottle could they please offer assistance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attached the picture for you to see.
LL

4 replies
vixterfsu Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 5

I can't tell how big this cake is. How many is it suppose to feed?
I would say a few 9 X 13 pans stacked. Wood markings on the fondant for crate look. The bottle could be cake or gumpaste.
BUMP

costumeczar Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 5

Yeah, it looks like a two-layered 9x13. I'd do the side panels out chocolate beforehand and add the wood marking on them. They look kind of thick, so you could do them out of gumpaste, but it would be a lot of gumpaste. They also extend up over the edge of the cake, so they'd need to be rigid. Making a panel of chocolate would be the easiest way to do that, I'd think. You could also make one for the separate lid that's leaning against the cake.

The fabric on the top could be made out of fondant, and the bottle could be made with a mold. I know a chocolatier who makes chocolate bottles like that, so I know there are molds out there like it. You could also do it with cake and cover it with fondant.

sillywabbitz Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 5

You could do the bottle out of Rice Krispy Treats as well. I have seen lots of different versions of this cake. One I saw made the bottle look like it was sitting in shredded paper...this covered the bottom 1/3 of the bottle so if you're bottle wasn't perfect it would still look really neat.

I did a search in the galleries and found this one.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1295057

It actually explains how she made the bottle etc.

Hope this helps. It's a really cool cake.

cashley Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much for your help I will play around with the bottle this weekend and see how I make out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%