Need Help Storing Cake Till Party

Decorating By MistyNV30 Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 12:53am by MistyNV30

MistyNV30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MistyNV30 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 11:20am
post #1 of 6

I am doing a party for some friends. I will be making two three-tier cakes plus all of the food to go with it. I beleave I got over my head with this one.
So my question is, if I would bake the cakes tomorrow what would be the best way to store them till it's time to decorate them either friday night or early saturday morning? I want to make sure the cakes are still moist and not dried out.
And another question about icing, is it to early to make that also? I will have to make about 5 to 6 double bathches of icing for the cakes and decorations.
The party is saturday evening. I just want to try and get as much as I can get done early so I'm not killing my self friday and saturday.
I only ever did two full parties with food but they were very small parties. This one is for 100+ people. My hours at my full time job is just crazy this week so time is an issue. icon_cry.gif
Any suggestions would be great. Thanks again.

5 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 11:36am
post #2 of 6

Hi, you can bake the cakes and freeze it. Wrap it in few layers of saran wrap and then in foil and then in a freezer bag. It will be moist. If you are planning to decorate friday night, take the cakes out and put it in the fridge to thaw with the wrappers. And you can make the buttercream and put it in an airtight box and put it in the fridge. Take it out few hours before you start decorating.

HTH.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 6

bashini has it righticon_smile.gif You can bake now and fz them. You can make your icing now (I'm assuming you are going to use b'cream. If so, I suggest you take it out of the frig a couple of hrs before using and stir it up well. If it's a full recipe, put it back into the mixer and use low speed for just a couple of minutes.

MistyNV30 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 6

Okay another question, may sound stupid but I never frozen a cake before. When you go to freeze them do you put them on cake boards so they don't split or fall apart? I'm in the middle of baking theses cakes now. Thanks for any advise.
And thanks to you guy for all the help. I have learned so much and my DH siad to me last night /early this morning that I have a problem that I'm hooked on this. I told him it's friends helping other friends and A great place to learn and ask for help and they are there to help.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 6

Hi, I never put boards under cakes when freezing. icon_smile.gif

MistyNV30 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 12:53am
post #6 of 6

I;m finally finished with this project and the cakes. I made my cakes on wednesday and froze them. I was still afraid of what they may look like and taste like after been frozen. Well they came out good. And they weren't dry.
Thanks everyone for there help! I will now do this with all my cakes when I need them. Baking ahead of time saved me alot of time.
Here is the picture of them. They look okay for only being the second and third one of theses that I made. They were strange sizes to begin with. I have only started doing cakes about 4 months now. After I was finished with them I seen areas that I could have of done better. And I wish I hade more time to start over.
They are no way near any of the ones I have seen here, and I keep telling myself one day I will be able to do that with my cakes.
Here's the pics any advise for next time?
Theses were all buttercream except for the lettering that was chocolate.
Thanks again everyone!
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%