Super Mario Bros

Baking By SugaredUp Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 12:23am by cylstrial

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:41am
post #1 of 16

Hey there!

Any ideas or tips on how to get the details down on Princess Peach and Super Mario cookies? Customer wants me to use the fondant cupcakes found on flickr as inspiration. I found some "templates" to use as cutters online. I always use NFSC and Antonia's R.I. Should I just attempt to do the details w/ R.I. or is there someway to get the detail exactly right? Like chocolate transfers or FBCT - but in royal icing? How should I do this?

TIA!

15 replies
Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:59am
post #2 of 16

Ooh I'd love to see the answer to this! I was wondering myself if you could do an FBCT on cookies.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:02am
post #3 of 16

Do you have a link to the pictures? There are a lot of Mario cakes on Flickr. icon_smile.gif

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks for this thread!! I have a Mario cake the end of Feb. I usually make a template of the image and cut it out of fondant....So this image is soooo helpful.

Not sure about your cookies tho....good luck with that, post us a pic when your done!!

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 12:59am
post #6 of 16

I would flood the larger areas (hat, face and body) and then add detail (eyes, hair buttons, gloves and shoes) with fondant or a med. RI. Same for the princess. Good luck. Those ought to be really cute. icon_smile.gif

SugaredUp Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:36am
post #7 of 16

Yeah, that's what I was planning Honeydukes. Just was wondering if perhaps there was an easier way I hadn't considered. Thanks!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 16

I have to make some mario cookies for a friend for next Friday and I can't figure out what to do for them?? I love those cupcakes but I'm afraid if I did cookies like that it wouldn't be recognizable unless they were all put together to form the "picture" like those cupcakes are!

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 16

Khalstead, there are the most adorable Mario cookies here on CC. I will get a link for you. If I had it my way, I would be doing these instead of what the customer asked for!

KHalstead Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 16

Just wanted to post back that I finished the Mario cookies and all the black was bleeding UGH!! I almost told the customer she could just "have" them because they looked so horrible...but I really need the money so I just told myself that if she complains she'll get a refund. She loved them and then I opened my mouth and said "all the black is bleeding into the face" and she waved her hand and said "oh stop, they're perfect" and handed me a check whooooooo....I did only charge $1.00 each though so at least she got a deal. I had to make 30 of these puppies and the only way I could figure to do it was freehand! I handcut them cuz I didn't feel like making a cutter (I had a million other things going on at the time)and I definitely didn't feel like making mmf or handcutting that (much easier to cut cookie dough than mmf with a perfect edge) so I had to use royal icing and it all bleed....
here is my sea of Bleeding Marios.......and another pic. so you can see more closely! Thanks for posting the pics they helped a ton.
LL
LL

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:18pm
post #11 of 16

Cute, cute, cute! Don't worry, the kids don't care about the bleeding (won't even notice), they will gobble them up! Although, I bet some don't get eaten, if they are like my kids, the ones that are too cu te to eat, they hang on their bulliten board or set up on their dresser. These are definitley a keeper! nice job!! icon_smile.gif

SugaredUp Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:33pm
post #12 of 16

You really did a great job. Mine are due next week! How long did you wait for the skin color to dry before adding your black, just out of curiosity? I don't want to make the same mistake, although you really can't even tell they're bleeding in the pic!

Thanks!

Amber

KHalstead Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 8:03pm
post #13 of 16

I didn't wait long at all.........I'm sure that was the problem. Initially I piped on the black details and such and then filled in around with the skin color and those ones didn't bleed at all. The ones where I colored in the whole face and let let it set maybe half an hour or so and went back and put the black on top.....every one of those bled!

SugaredUp Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:41pm
post #14 of 16

I'm working on mine now and they are a PITA

SugaredUp Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:55pm
post #15 of 16

I posted my pics in the gallery. I dropped them off, and I was told by an employee of the customer that she might not like them because they don't look exactly like the picture. I guess she is very picky, according to this person. Well - great - now I'm waiting for a complaint phone call. Yay for me!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 12:23am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Just wanted to post back that I finished the Mario cookies and all the black was bleeding UGH!! I almost told the customer she could just "have" them because they looked so horrible...but I really need the money so I just told myself that if she complains she'll get a refund. She loved them and then I opened my mouth and said "all the black is bleeding into the face" and she waved her hand and said "oh stop, they're perfect" and handed me a check whooooooo....I did only charge $1.00 each though so at least she got a deal. I had to make 30 of these puppies and the only way I could figure to do it was freehand! I handcut them cuz I didn't feel like making a cutter (I had a million other things going on at the time)and I definitely didn't feel like making mmf or handcutting that (much easier to cut cookie dough than mmf with a perfect edge) so I had to use royal icing and it all bleed....
here is my sea of Bleeding Marios.......and another pic. so you can see more closely! Thanks for posting the pics they helped a ton.

Wow..you cookies are just too cute!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%