French Recipes/gruyère

Lounge By Zamode Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 2:01pm by rlowry03

Zamode Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:04am
post #1 of 6

I thought it would be cool if I could do some French recipes for my daughter's Madeline birthday party next month. I'm not one to go all out for parties but thought if I could find something good, easy to make, etc. it would be a nice touch. Kids will have something else. Can't find much besides some chicken dishes that don't have alcohol in them. Alcohol isn't the problem but the cost is, mostly because I will probably need to triple the recipe of whatever I make.

I got Ina Garten's Barefoot in Paris book and see most of the cheese-based recipes as for Gruyère, which is understandable. I've never had it, can someone describe what kind of cheese it is? I knew it would be expensive but, even with my local grocery store being overpriced, it was $15.99 a pound! icon_eek.gif Is there a legit "substitute" for a hard cheese like that in any French recipes?

5 replies
antonia74 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:17am
post #2 of 6

It's pretty comparable taste-wise with the Swiss cheese we get here in North America. You could absolutely substitute one for the other.

As for recipes, how about quiche? They could even put their own little quiche together at the party....let them choose a few ingredients like spinach, ham, cheese, etc and bake their own? Maybe a chocolate mousse or creme brulee for dessert?

Seeing as her name is Madeline.....why not send guests home with madeleine cookies as a favor? Yum! icon_smile.gif

Zamode Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:27am
post #3 of 6

Thank you Helen, the Swiss-for-Gruyère is a huge help! I did think of quiche because I like them but my husband does not and I am not sure about the rest of the adults.

Oops, I worded that incorrectly--my daughter's name is not Madeline, her party "theme" is Madeline based on the book character of that name. I was already planned madeleines as favors, though! We are thinking alike! thumbs_up.gif I just have to find a pan. Thanks!

antonia74 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:34am
post #4 of 6

haha...nope, MY mistake. You did write "my daughter's Madeline party" and I mis-read it as "my daughter Madeline's party". Whoops!

Still, great minds do think alike. Have an amazing party!! icon_lol.gif

Deb_ Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 6

How about a cheese fondue, with all kinds of cool things to dip in it. French bread cut in cubes, veggies, even chicken fingers if they're young (not sure how old she is, sorry if you mentioned it)
Fondue is always a big hit with ALL age groups, I love doing that.

EDIT TO ADD........Is fondue french? icon_confused.gif It sounds french! icon_biggrin.gif

rlowry03 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 6

I LOVE LOVE LOVE fondue! We always make it with baby swiss and gruyere, but the original recipe calls for swiss and emmenthaler (a type of swiss). Both gruyere and emmenthaler are just a bit stronger than regular swiss, and I didn't like it growing up. But I bet the adults will love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%