8 In. Baby Block

Decorating By buttawhench Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 3:51pm by practiceandpatience

buttawhench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttawhench Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:52am
post #1 of 4

Ok, so i'm trying to make my 1st baby block out of buttercream. In order for it to be a perfect cube it has to be 8in. tall. That is alot of cake. Considered a six but to small. I was thinking of maybe using styrofoam as the bottom layer for height. But if so how do I make sure the difference doesn't show?
Any thoughts or other ideas appreciated.
Thanx

3 replies
SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:46am
post #2 of 4

are you covering it in fondant? if you are then you could cut the styrofoam to the same shape as your cake

are you doing the 8 in cake to get the amount of servings needed? You could do more than one block in a smaller size and stack them of just have them side by side

buttawhench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttawhench Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:20am
post #3 of 4

No fondant i'm doing all buttercream. I thought about doing little ones but decided to do one big one. I don't know maybe I'll do the little ones.
Arrrghhhh!!!!!!!!

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 4

I do not see why you could not use styrofoam. If you are using an 8 inch dummy that you have purchased, the baked cake might be slightly smaller, but I think if you do a crumb coat of icing in the BC, it should fill in the gap. If you are cutting your own styrofoam, it could be cut once the baked layers are done, and then use them as a guide for cutting. Be sure to cover the cut styrofoam with plastic wrap or press and seal to keep styrofoam particles from getting in the cake. I have done a baby block cake using 6 inch, and in doing that you make 3 layers of cake. If you did that you could then cut the pieces a bit smaller as it is so much taller. Do you think that would give you enough servings???

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1206810.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%