Lunch With Leahs Today!

Decorating By indydebi Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 1:10am by mkolmar

indydebi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:33am
post #1 of 47

I felt like I won the lottery when leahs suggested she come by my place. My family thought I was nuts when I started jumping up and down saying "leahs coming! leahs coming!" (and watching a fat woman jump up and down is just not a pretty sight!)

And she took me past another cake hurdle ..... we made a scratch cake together (geesh, it was so EASY!) that tasted great! Heck, I practically had my head down in the 20-qt mixing bowl, licking the sides!! icon_lol.gif

So I've crossed the line into fondant and now scratch baking ..... you guys are SUCH a bad influence on me. icon_biggrin.gif

And Melvira, here's one for you .... I think I made another convert for your roller method. icon_biggrin.gif

The visit was much too short but a fabulous time together!

46 replies
tannersmom Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:44am
post #2 of 47

I'm glad that you guys had a great time. Cakecentral is such a wonderful place. It's not just about cake decorating, it's about making friends.

Stephanie

jammjenks Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:46am
post #3 of 47

Hey Stephanie - I propose that Indydebi and leahs come to NC, don't you?

kimkait Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:57am
post #4 of 47

And pass through Tennessee on their way!

tannersmom Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:38am
post #5 of 47

I couldn't agree with you more. Hey Deb, spend some of that lottery money on some plane tickets. LOL

JanH Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:31am
post #6 of 47

Wow, Indianapolis was rocking today. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gifparty.gif

(Wish I could have been there.) icon_cool.gificon_lol.gif

PinkZiab Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 47

LeahS rocks... and I'm so happy that you've seen that scratch baking can be easy and is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO delicious!

I gotta start making some CC-related road trips! lol

eldag0615 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 47

Wow, that is wonderful, I would have been walking on cloud 9. In fact, If I had worked together with Indy or Leahs I would have felt like I had Marina Sousa or Mike or even Norman Davis next to me, or better yet, The Cake Divas next to me.
So happy for you.

GeminiRJ Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:04pm
post #9 of 47

Indydebi gets to have lunch and "quality" time with leahs...leahs gets to visit indydebi in her shop and have "quality" time with her, too. Count me officially envious!

imakecakes Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:15pm
post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Indydebi gets to have lunch and "quality" time with leahs...leahs gets to visit indydebi in her shop and have "quality" time with her, too. Count me officially envious!

Me too!!

FromScratch Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:22pm
post #11 of 47

OMG Debi... I'm sure somewhere there's a grandma rollin' in her grave at the thought of your doing fondant AND scratch cakes. See......... we aren't all insane people who love to eat carboard. icon_wink.gif What flavor cake did you gals make? *trying to live vicariously through print*

I am officially jealous though. I want a play date with two of my favorite CC people. You sure you don't want to come up this way?? We are getting another 10-15 inches of snow tomorrow. No??? Not even a little tempting?? icon_lol.gif

leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:26pm
post #12 of 47

Yes, we had a great day. Both our families thought we were nuts meeting up IRL with someone from the Internet. I printed out Indy's picture from her website and said, see, she doesn't look like an ax murderer at all.

Anyway, that Melvira roller technique is pretty cool. I just have to figure out how to make it work with my icing. And Indy also got to see the SPS plate and legs in action. And she really did seem to like the scratch batter and hopefully later the cake!

"It doesn't look like cornbread at all!"

And let me just say, IndyDebi's husband is not the only comedian in the family! She's funny. And tells it like it is. And tracks more data about her biz than I've even thought about.

All in all a great day!

eldag0615 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:26pm
post #13 of 47

Me three!!! (kidding), when one of my kids want something, he says: I want one, the other one says: me 2 (too) and the other one says: me 3
Anyway, I am green with envy (the good one)

cas17 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:34pm
post #14 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by imakecakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Me too!!

me three!!!

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:43pm
post #15 of 47

Way cool!! I have gotten together with different online cake buddies before too. Always a treat. In fact I gotta cake buddy from Kansas coming today to visit me at the bookstore. I hope my pound cake gets done in the middle.

If you're passing by near Elvistown aka Memphis TN come on by!!!

kakeladi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:44pm
post #16 of 47

Well now what's left for me to introduce to Indy?? icon_smile.gif
I wee meet her next week for lunch icon_smile.gif

cas17 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:44pm
post #17 of 47

oops eldag beat me to it, me four! seriously all that talent and experience in the same place, way cool! hey, no snow here in VA.....

CarolAnn Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:51pm
post #18 of 47

Oh that sounds like a good time to me! I think it's so cool when I hear about CCr's getting together.

jammjenks Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:05pm
post #19 of 47

All this talk makes me want to meet somebody. Anybody near me wanna give it a go? My gosh that sounded desperate didn't it......

VannaD Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:08pm
post #20 of 47

I want to meet someone!!!! I think SugarShack is barely 2 hrs away, maybe i can rope her in. Sharon.... are you out there?? Do you feel like doing any charity work??? YOu know.. working with me?! icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:16pm
post #21 of 47

I love meeting cake friends... I have met a few people from this site. Always a good time.

yellobutterfly Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:41pm
post #22 of 47

Well just know that I'm envious of all of your cake playdates and I'll be with you in spirit, as I'm here in the Lonestar state!

dldbrou Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:59pm
post #23 of 47

vanna, where are you located. I live in Scott, La. about two hours away from SugarShack.

CarolAnn Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:13pm
post #24 of 47
Quote:
Quote:

All this talk makes me want to meet somebody. Anybody near me wanna give it a go? My gosh that sounded desperate didn't it......

April, that was too funny! Gave me a good laugh. By golly if I was close I'd love to meet up with you. There's no one down around me.

jammjenks Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:03am
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

Quote:
Quote:

April, that was too funny! Gave me a good laugh. By golly if I was close I'd love to meet up with you. There's no one down around me.

CarolAnn - I'm putting on my red shoes and clicking my heels together. I'll be there in a minute...

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:16pm
post #26 of 47

Hey, leahs, I told hubby how you showed me how to spin the pan instead of banging it ... he said, "I love her JUST for that!"

(Hubby HATED it when I baked at home and did the pan banging!)

yellobutterfly Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:23pm
post #27 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Hey, leahs, I told hubby how you showed me how to spin the pan instead of banging it ... he said, "I love her JUST for that!"

(Hubby HATED it when I baked at home and did the pan banging!)

please elaborate on this trick, my husband HATES it when I bang my pans too!

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:27pm
post #28 of 47

yello, it's so cool! Just give the cake pan a big spin. It's fun to watch the batter 'spin out' to the outer side of the pan. (oh heck, give it TWO spins! Have ball! Make your day!) icon_lol.gif

yellobutterfly Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:33pm
post #29 of 47

lol, thanks debi and leah! So is the purpose of this to remove air bubbles, or to spread the batter evenly? (I thought the purpose of banging was both)

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:34pm
post #30 of 47

Oh please type softer about the banging -- my poor little head.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%