?? About Grocery Bakery Pricing

Decorating By Yomomma Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 2:36pm by cakesbycathy

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 15

The nearest WalMart bakery is an hour away and any other grocery store, that has a bakery, is 2 1/2 hours away from my town. So, I can't easily check to see what these places charge. Can someone give me an idea what these grocery story bakerys charge per slice for their wedding cakes? Do prices vary from area to area within the walmart chain? Additional charges for extras will be helpful too, i.e. fondant etc.

14 replies
enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 15

I don't have the answer to your question but here is a bump.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 15

Walmart? Fondant?? icon_twisted.gif I'd love to see what they would do with fondant! Bwahahahaha.

I am pretty sure prices are very consistent from Walmart to Walmart.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 15

No info for the OP - but Jamie I love your avatar!!

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 15

In South Texas there is HEB it's a supermarket like Walmart, and they sell their wedding prices around $1.20/serv. buttercream and $2.75 for fondant, PLUS toppers or flowers, Plus filling, Plus deposit, Plus delivery. Delivery is $25.00 per 3 mile radious, each additional mile 5.00 each up to 15 miles. I am sure I have a pamphlet with Walmart prices, if I find it I will post it. Just remember, their cakes are pre-frozen, I know because I asked, somebody had told me and I didn't want to believe it, so I asked at HEB, Walmart, Sams and Foyce, and all of them said YES, what do you think? that we bake them here? and some of them smiled and some laughed.

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 15

I work at a super target and the pricing varies from cake to cake. One cake a I priced the other day for 134 people was about $250.

__Jamie__ Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 15

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif...me too...I'm never gonna change it!

__Jamie__ Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldag0615

Just remember, their cakes are pre-frozen, I know because I asked, somebody had told me and I didn't want to believe it, so I asked at HEB, Walmart, Sams and Foyce, and all of them said YES, what do you think? that we bake them here? and some of them smiled and some laughed.

Exactly. If you go to the Cake Boss website, there is a really neat "cheat sheet" of sorts to help you explain your prices (not that we really need to but...I digress)....and how a custom cake differs fro Walmart in exact ways...ilke the frozen aspect. Anyways, it's a really neat thing to read.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:21pm
post #9 of 15

the prices at walmart do vary from store to store depending on area

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:26pm
post #10 of 15

if the nearest bakery is that far away, why would you be considering their prices? i would set my prices and be done with it if i were the only bakery in that area...that would be awesome too!

eldag0615 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:31pm
post #11 of 15

You are right Jamie, I would love to see some of those fondant cakes , and the flavor? I can not or do not want to imagine it. icon_biggrin.gif The pics. from the HEB some look nice and in some the borders are so "chuecos" I can't find the word in English. crooked? They should at least take the pic. from another side. icon_lol.gif and the designs they give you to choose from look like they are from the 70's or 80's, no offense, so many ruffles, etc. (Don't hit me, I know some people love those hot pink and purple ruffles). See you, I want to find that walmart pamphlet.

__Jamie__ Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:36pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

if the nearest bakery is that far away, why would you be considering their prices? i would set my prices and be done with it if i were the only bakery in that area...that would be awesome too!

Bam! That's what I'm saying!

__Jamie__ Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:38pm
post #13 of 15

And no offense to Walmart, their customers, or their employees. I love Walmart, saves me a lot of money, and I'm so expensive, I wouldn't be able to afford my cakes....so guess where I would probably get them???? Hee hee.

eldag0615 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:53pm
post #14 of 15

Same here, that IS where I got them from until I took the Wilton classes and started practicing on my own. icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:36pm
post #15 of 15

I agree, you're not in the same market as Walmart.

I'm just curious though - why can't you just pick up the phone and call to ask about their general prices icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%