Really Good Chocolate Truffle Filling Receipe Anyone?

Decorating By ArtieTs Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 7:32pm by CHoxie

ArtieTs Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 15

Hi there CC,

I keep reading cake combo descriptions that mention a chocolate truffle filling. Does anyone have a good receipe I can try in both chocolate & white chocolate variations? I've not been able to find too many online, so figured you guys would be a great resource. Thanks

14 replies
cakesbyjen Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:19am
post #2 of 15

i know that chocolate truffles are usually only as good as the chocolate... if you buy good quality chocolate then you'll have good truffles...

as for the recipe, i believe it's a 2 to 1 ratio chocolate to heavy cream BY WEIGHT...

bring the heavy cream to a boil in a saucepan, and watch it carefully, once it starts to boil it WILL foam up and make a mess, and once it boils, remove from heat and add the chocolate until it all melts

it takes flavors extremely well, anything from candy flavors to liquers

to use as a filling i would just let it set up either sitting out or in the fridge but obviously if you refridgerate it you'll need to let it reach room temp because it won't be very easy to spread

anyways i hope that helps... icon_biggrin.gif

Chef_Stef Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:59am
post #3 of 15

Look for a good ganache recipe, white or dark.

OR, the Hershey baking cocoa box used to have a really good "chocolate frosting" recipe that works GREAT as a really dense rich chocolate filling.

ceshell Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:31am
post #4 of 15

I think the 2:1 ratio is usually for actual chocolate truffles. For truffle/ganache "icing" most use 1:1 ratio (that's what I do). Boil up the cream as suggested, pour over chopped chocolate (the finer the better, but chips are ok) and wait 1 minute. Then whisk until smooth. Then add unsalted butter and liqueur for depth (even vanilla, that's my choice) and whisk gently to blend. Let it cool completely (meaning, all day long, or overnight, covered but on the counter) and then to give it some volume for the filling, whip it for a short bit. Meaning, 10 seconds to maybe a minute tops. If you overbeat it will go grainy on you. I do it just long enough to inflate it a bit, and the color lightens. Then spread it on. The darker your chocolate, the harder it will be to spread, so I use a piping bag actually.

I do not know the ratio for white chocolate though, that may be the 2:1 ratio that cakesbyjen is referring to. maybe 1.5:1...I'm not really sure!

MacsMom Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:40am
post #5 of 15

This is what I use - it's so easy and so good!

Truffle filling
16 oz cream cheese, softened
4 c milk chocolate chips (2 bags)
1/3 c butter
1-1/2 t vanilla
2 c PS, sifted

Beat the cream cheese. Melt the chocolate and butter together in microwave; beat into cream cheese. Add vanilla and PS; mix well.

You can use any type of chocolate, even colored candy melts, and try various flavorings.

JanH Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:46am
post #6 of 15

Everything you ever wanted to know about ganache:
(Overview, master and other recipes including white chocolate. Includes info on glazing, smoothing, stacking and so much more.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-497433-.html

Chocolate 101:

http://tinyurl.com/ytby97

HTH

FlourPots Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:44am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Truffle filling
1/3 c butter
1-1/2 t vanilla
2 c PS, sifted

MacsMom...this one is slightly different than the one you posted on the doctored cake thread (double the cream cheese & choc. chips here)...is this just another variation, or could there be a misprint somewhere?

MacsMom Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:53am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Quote:

Truffle filling
1/3 c butter
1-1/2 t vanilla
2 c PS, sifted

MacsMom...this one is slightly different than the one you posted on the doctored cake thread (double the cream cheese & choc. chips here)...is this just another variation, or could there be a misprint somewhere?

This is the right one. I think I wrote 2/3 c butter in the first? Or maybe didn't add the butter?

I keep adjusting it--I think I finally nailed it with this one. I made a batch using semi-sweet that didn't taste great with peanut butter cake, so I tried milk chocolate for my s'mores cake and it complemented it perfectly. Glad you noticed!

FlourPots Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 8:02am
post #9 of 15

OK...thanks...I'll adjust my recipe file.

ArtieTs Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:42pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks everyone for your help icon_biggrin.gif I will hopefully try this on the weekend. I have a request for a choclate cake sheet cake & my boss loves choc. & raspberry so I was thinking that a white or dark chocolate raspberry truffle filling would be good.

nickshalfpint Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:53pm
post #11 of 15

MacsMom.....does it matter if the butter is salted or unsalted? I want to make it and I don't feel like running to the store icon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:55pm
post #12 of 15

Nope! The butter is just to make it softer, not necessarily for flavor.

nickshalfpint Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 5:57pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:

Nope! The butter is just to make it softer, not necessarily for flavor.

YAY!!!!! (I'm too tired to go to the store icon_biggrin.gif )

mommarivera Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:03pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks for the recipe!!!

CHoxie Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:32pm
post #15 of 15

I make my truffles out of cookie crumbs and cream cheese.

1 8oz pkg cream cheese
1 pkg Oreo, any flavor.

Crumble cookies in food processor. Add softened cream cheese and mix together well until it makes a "paste". Form into small balls and chill. Remove from fridge, dip in melted chocolate, any color, and set on wax paper. Drizzle with assorted toppings, chocolate, crumbs, coconut...

Makes around 50 small truffles. I have used peanut butter flavored cookies, orange, lemon, raspberry... Never seem to last.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%