Using Sugarveil

Decorating By Karenelli Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 3:29pm by niccicola

Karenelli Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 17

I am just beginning to learn to use sugarveil and wanted to know if anyone has any advice? Do's and Don'ts. Setup times, etc. I have just practiced once on a cake and found that the amount of time you have before the brittle stage is pretty short. How do you adjust that...if you can. Anybody?????

16 replies
Karenelli Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 17

Has anyone tried Sugarveil that can give me a little advice??????
Bump!

grama_j Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 17

I wish I could help, but I have never used it....... do you have the entire set up, or did you just get the packet ? I would LOVE to try this stuff !

Karenelli Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 17

Grama_J,
I just bought the packet to try it first, not having any idea what it was like. I tried the small cake that you see in my photos and found setup time for the sugarveil is tricky. Before I was finished setting the stencils onthe cake they started to the too quickly and would snap as I removed them...or take them off too soon and they stretch out of shape. I feel that doing a 3 tier wedding cake would really try my patience working the set times for so many stencils. You Would really have to watch the timing of different batches of stencils and alot of time would be needed to place them on the cake ahead of the scheduled due date of the finished cake. The first batch of stencils came out great but I needed to use more the the same mixed sugarveil to make more stencils to finish the cake and the second batch was very finicky and gave me alot of trouble. I can only imaging doing a larger cake would be a real pain. I know I kind of ranted on and on but I hope you get what I am saying.
Karen

grama_j Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 17

Shoot, Karen, I don't know which one you are talking about, but if your other work is any indication of your Sugar Veil work, you CAN DO IT !! you are really talented !

janelwaters Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 17

I use sugar veil a lot and I love it! when you are doing your stencils are you doing it right on the cake or on a piece of wax/parchment paper?

Did you get the DVD? The DVD is FULL of great information on how to do different stuff with it.

I would suggest that you grease your stencil with crisco and if you are working on wax/parchement paper, grease that too. I usually let the sugar veil sit for anywhere from 30 mins to 3 hours depending on the humidity. if it gets too brittle you can put it in the fridge and it will loosen up or if its too sticky you can put it in the oven with the light on.

There is a stage where it is dry and flexible before it gets too brittle and starts to break - it could also be in your mix or the weather.....

once you get the hang of it - its awesome!!

good luck!!

leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 17

Gosh, I've used SugarVeil but mine didn't get to the brittle stage for days. Srsly, days.

kbak37 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:26pm
post #8 of 17

I have used it and also have the dispenser tool. I havnt had the brittle stage to quick. IMHO it is dependent on the weather. The only issue I had with it was after storing it after it being mixed, I took it out of the fridge, let it come to room temp and it remixed it..then it would not come out of the dipenser. It came out of a piping bag with no problem.

It took mine hours to get to the brittle stage.
Do you have a humidifier you can use in the house to add some humidity and see if that increases the set time?

Karenelli Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 17

Thank you all of you for your help. I do have the video and have watched it twice and I am using parchment paper and did use Crisco to grease the paper. I didn't use alot on the paper though and didn't put ANY on the stencil which would have prevented the little sticking that did occur to the stencil. How thick a coating should I use on the stencil...is a thin coat easier to work with than a thick coating? I know when it is thin, it hit the brittle stage very quickly. Like I said, I didn't have much time when it was at the flexible stage to work with it before it got brittle and was unable to use all of the stencils that I had made. The just snapped. At the thin stage and temperature and humidity in my kitchen at the time, it set in about 15 minutes and was at the brittle stage in 20 minutes after that. Any suggestions? anything to learn a new product will be helpful. Thank you everyone.
Karen

leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:17pm
post #10 of 17

maybe more water in the mix? Just a little? Mine didn't fully set for hours.

janelwaters Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 8:40pm
post #11 of 17

crisco both sides of the stencil and add a little more water to the mix - just like 2 tsps - It takes hours to a day for mine to become brittle and break.

It usually takes anywhere from 30 mins to 3 hours for mine to set to flexible.

you have to use a good amount of crisco to get it to not stick - I would say about a "medium" smear.

try it again.... i'm sorry you are having problems with it!!

Karenelli Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:06pm
post #12 of 17

Thankyou Janelwaters,

I'll try more water and crisco. I definitely didn't use alot when I coated the parchment paper. At least that will help with the release. I knew there would be a kind soul here on CC to give me a few tips. I'll practice soon.

Karen

emilyg Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:00am
post #13 of 17

Hi Karen,

Just saw your posting, and thought maybe I could pass along a few tips about SugarVeil. Use 1/3 c plus 2 Tbl. boiling water to 1 cup SugarVeil for anything you do [For piping lines with more dimension, place the piping bag into the fridge for 30 min. or so]. As for setting, you can speed up setting by placing the SugarVeil decorations where the air is drier - near the ovens in the kitchen area is the best place. If you want the setting process to be slowed down, make the SugarVeil decorations on a silicone mat rather than parchment, and/or place the decorations to set near the sinks area in your workspace. The sink's water/steam running all the time gives off lots of humidity, making it a longer time to set SugarVeil. To keep the decorations you've made flexible until you are ready to use them, peel them when they are no longer tacky to the touch, and place them between sheets of fresh parchment into a Ziploc bag (I like the big 2.5 gallon ones). Regarding stenciling, you can stencil thickly or thinly - I like to really spread a thick layer on the surface of the stencil for more dimension. Roll the stencil back very slowly after spreading the thick SugarVeil layer, and Sugarveil will pull itself into the stenciled decoration, giving nice rounded, sculpted-looking decorations. This is especially great for monogram stencils. If I want even more depth to the monogram, here's what I do: First, I stencil a "footprint" layer (doesn't have to be really thick) of the SugarVeil monogram onto greased parchment (BTW, use Crisco to grease - not spray oil which takes much longer to set) and give it just a few minutes to rest. While it's still tacky-wet, I then take the needle tip of the Icing Dispenser and submerge it into the already stenciled SugarVeil, placing my finger over the hole of the Dispenser to build up the monogram from the "footprint". You can do this in stages, allowing it to rest a bit between "injections"(ha) and end up with a really thick monogram. If you're not using the SugarVeil monogram for a couple of weeks/months, you can let it dry out completely (in the sun or in a food dehydrator). When you are ready to place it and would like it to bend, just steam it a bit and the flexibility will return. Here's an monogram example from our website at www.sugarveil.com. Thanks, Emily at SugarVeil
LL

Karenelli Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:44pm
post #14 of 17

Emily,

Thank you very much for taking the time to send the information over. I can't wait to try again. It seems like such a great product, I'm hoping I can work out the technique and use it often.

Karen

niccicola Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:46am
post #15 of 17

so, grease parchment paper, grease both sides of the stencil, smear sugarveil over the stencil..

how thick should this "smear" of sugarveil be?

how long should I keep the smeared stencil on the parchment paper before picking it up and moving on to doing the same stencil again on another piece of parchment?

emilyg Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:41pm
post #16 of 17

Niccicola, The "smear" thickness can be thin (you can see the stencil beneath) or a thick (covering the entire stencil). When you remove the stencil, roll it back (picture below) slowly so SugarVeil will pull back into itself (see my post above). Try some thick and some thin, and see which you prefer. The thin ones will set faster than the thicker ones.

You don't need to wait to move the stencil again to "re-smear" - just spread, roll to remove, and stencil again. If I am stenciling on top of a sheet of set SugarVeil, I check the back of the stencil to make sure it's perfectly clean before re-stenciling. Everyone has their own method of working, but in my case, I don't grease the stencil. If it seems to slide around on top of a set SugarVeil sheet, I just use the heat from the palms of my hands to press the stencil onto the SugarVeil sheet, and it keeps it in place to smear it.

If I only need a small amount of SugarVeil, I'll mix up a cup and then use it up completely, making sheets or stenciling scrolls or monograms to use in the future, placing them between fresh parchment in a Ziploc bag. Please let me know if I have not made this clear - thanks! Emily at SugarVeil
LL

niccicola Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:29pm
post #17 of 17

No, that's perfect, Emily! Thanks for the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%