Anyone Ever Been Caught Selling Cakes From Home???

Decorating By SweetAsLemmons Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 11:24pm by ntertayneme

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm
post #31 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Boy Howdy are y'all quick on those judgements there....

Who says it was for 'no good reason'?

And speaking of karma (which I believe wholeheartedly in), breaking the law is sure not going to fill anyone's karma bag in a hurry.

Again...if there's a good reason - that's one thing. To do it just because is the issue here...

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:31pm
post #32 of 177

But why not 'just beacause'? Would you report someone breaking the law in another fashion?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:35pm
post #33 of 177

This again?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:37pm
post #34 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

So, following this logically and not emotionally, doing something that's illegal to make money because this economy sucks is OK?

So, can I bake cakes but not sell drugs?

How about reselling goods on Ebay that I suspect (but don't know for sure) were stolen from a local merchant?

Just wondering where that line is between the OK illegal activity and the bad illegal activity that several of you seem to know.

For the record I started out with, for lack of a long, drawn-out explanation, a mini-HD license that didn't permit cakes. I got caught and had to upgrade my license. And I got caught in the first two weeks.

In my world this stuff is actually pretty simple. Illegal is illegal. You can choose to not obey the law, but if you do that and get caught you suffer the consequences. I did. Getting my kitchen upgraded to pass the full license inspection cost some $. Not a tremendous amount but a coupla thousand.

Took the words right out of my mouth (fingers icon_biggrin.gif )

Also gotta agree w/jkalman's 1st post to the OP and add to that by asking..............What do you work for the HD or something? or Do you just get a kick out of hearing other people's hardship stories?

My advice to any future posters to this thread is don't answer if you're licensed or unlicensed. Could have a knock here. thumbsdown.gif

Back to "Officially Embarrassed" much more fun over there........ icon_lol.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:38pm
post #35 of 177

Most people have a misunderstanding of Karma.. it is not "what comes around goes around" as a follower of Hinduism I know this. Karma is not "cause and effect", but "action".
It bothers me when that word is thrown around... I know, my issue. icon_rolleyes.gif

Just a thought... icon_wink.gif

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:38pm
post #36 of 177
Quote:

But why not 'just beacause'? Would you report someone breaking the law in another fashion?

To me...it's the attitude behind actions that speaks volumes. If you're doing it just because - it just seems to me it's because you either enjoy hurting people and bring misery upon them or you just want to make sure that no one else gets a break in life because you're miserable. And by saying "you" I am not directing it towards you specifically!

So often people on their moral high grounds feels it's appropriate to "police" the world and all their actions. I realize that these people are not following the law but it's not my place to make sure their lives are moral. It's all about what you feel comfortable with. If someone feels comfortable taking away what might possibly be the only way they can afford a light bill or clothes for their children, especially in this economy then so be it. That's just not me. I think Karma also has to do with the spirit of the heart and "just because" is not a good reason. Do it because you're worried about safety - do it because you feel they are detriment to society but don't do it because it's wrong and you're going to teach them a lesson.

I realize you're not religious so our views are not always going to be compatible but for me, we are all going to be judged someday and it's not my responsibility to do the judging during my time here on earth....

Tammi

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:43pm
post #37 of 177

Hi SweetAsLemmons! I know a gal who was turned in for making various pies and such out of her home. Oh, they were deeeee-lish! She invested a lot of money in expensive high-end kitchen equipment in her home, and made the deliveries herself. The few times I was at there, I found her home to be impeccably clean (no pets). She thinks a neighbor might have turned her in for whatever reason. I didn't know it then, but in her state, you are not allowed to have a home kitchen; it must be a building completely separate from the home. Anyway... It was a nightmare for her when she was caught. Fines and other penalties. IRS wants to see all income records going back "x" years. ... As far as I know she never did get back into the business, either legally or illegally.

Bottom line: She knew what she was doing was wrong, and it was a chance she took.

.... Me? I'm patiently waiting to win the lottery. icon_biggrin.gif

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:46pm
post #38 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-pal

Yes, I was turned in. I was teaching Wilton classes, plus doing lots of cakes on the side. Some students of mine opened a business, but were having difficulty doing the more difficult stuff because they weren't very experienced. We started an arrangement where they would take the orders, bring the cakes to me and then I would decorate them. Unfortunately, this became increasingly difficult because they didn't want to "pay" me. They wanted to just give me product and this wasn't working for me. We had a number of "disagreements" and things started going south. I "resigned" and told them that I'd be happy to give them advice, but that I was no longer able to work for them. The next day I received a phone call from the HD asking whether I was doing cakes from my home! I was stunned and just stood there with my mouth wide open, going, "uuuhhhh.... I can't believe they did that!!" They informed me I could no longer do cakes from my home or I would be fined. These ladies actually took credit for turning me in, and notified me that they also forwarded my website to the IRS and that they had "friends" who would be "checking" on me to make sure I wouldn't be taking any more cake orders. My car was vandalized that week and I lost a tire while driving down the freeway with my kids and 3 nieces and nephews in the suburban... any guesses who may've done that?!

I also know of at least 4 others in my area that were turned in... not from the same people.

But hey, I got the last laugh... I opened a business and before I'd been in business 6 months, the other ladies no longer were!

OMG!! I teach wilton classes and am just....speechless to say the least...that your students would take advantage of you like that and then have the nerve to turn you in!!! UGH!!! Bless your heart. Guess I'll have to watch my back more...

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:49pm
post #39 of 177
Quote:

Are we talking about baking cakes????? lol

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:49pm
post #40 of 177

One thing I've seen since I"ve started decorating cakes is that there is plenty to go around. Turning someone in just because you're afraid of competition is just plain immature and spitefull. That being said, yes, if someone is baking and decorating from a house with filth all over it and cat boxes everywhere, then they should be turned in. Someone said in a seperate post that home bakers are always getting a bum rap from the few individuals who do not keep a clean work area. I am trying to become legitimate 100%. Right now, I just work off family and friend referrals, no advertising, no full color ads in the phone book, or anything like that. Funny thing too is that my local bakery/supply shop sends me all their referrals for 3D cakes!! But they've been to my house and seen how I work, so they are comfortable doing it. I personally work off the HOPE that if I am caught, that a cease and desist will be issued BEFORE any legal action!! Again...I HOPE. But right now, the small income I do make from my cakes is the only thing keeping the lights on, heat on, and my car payment made.

Cakeonista Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:56pm
post #41 of 177

Robz I hope you keep baking happily and tirelessly. Good
luck

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:56pm
post #42 of 177

Who says that one is 'afraid of competition'?

Why is it always assumed that folks who turn others in are 'afraid of competition', or doing it 'just because' or to be 'immature and spiteful'?

Megalish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megalish Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:57pm
post #43 of 177

Dear ___________

Thank you for your interest in the Utah Cottage Food program. Your first step is to determine if your proposed business fits within the restrictions of the Cottage Food Rule. The first limitation is that only non-potentially hazardous foods (also referred to as "shelf-stable" foods, meaning items which would not need temperature control for safety) can be made in a Cottage Food establishment. The second restriction is that a home with a Cottage Food establishment cannot have free roaming pets such as dogs or cats. There are no modifications required to your home as long as you can work in a normal, residential-type kitchen.

Please be aware that Cottage Food products can only be sold within the state of Utah, and only to the direct consumer. Wholesale distribution to other businesses for use in their own products is prohibited.

To prepare your application, please use a copy of the attached Cottage Food Product Application form for each product you plan to make. Please use one form per recipe and attach additional sheets with details on the ingredients and procedures for making them. We need to review each food product for compliance with the rule restrictions. Also, please include draft copies of your labels so that we can review them.

The attached guidelines and checklist will assist you in knowing the requirements and expectations in advance of your first inspection. Once all of your products have been reviewed, we can schedule an inspection with myself and your local Department of Agriculture inspector. The inspection will cover your sanitation procedures, food storage, and other issues pertinent to the production of safe food. After your inspection and registration, you will receive a bill for your annual registration fee, which should be just $20.

Please feel free to call me if you have any questions.

***THOUGHT THIS MIGHT BE INTERESTING TO SOME

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:57pm
post #44 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariu

i have not turned anyone in, AND i am currently unlicensed but going through the process of becoming legal...all that being said, you can bet that if i went into a "business" that is operating illegally or legally either one, and they had lax hygiene standards that could jeapordize the public's health, I WOULD CALL IN ON THEM....AND I DO HAVE A LIFE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

bleach, towels and rat poison can all be purchased at the dollar store for less than $5. there is no excuse for uncleanliness. THAT IS THE TRUE DISGRACE!

Like I said earlier "just because"..........not for the reasons you stated obviously![/quote]

then my apologies for misunderstanding.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:59pm
post #45 of 177
Quote:

Why is it always assumed that folks who turn others in are 'afraid of competition', or doing it 'just because' or to be 'immature and spiteful'?

Why do you assume that's what we're assuming? icon_biggrin.gif I believe there ARE legitimate reasons to turning people in! I'm only speaking to those who DO do it for no "good reason"...

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:03pm
post #46 of 177

Before I was turned in to the HD, and before I became "legal", I wrestled with the whole "legality/morality" of it. It was something that was difficult for me. I had young children and I asked myself, "How can I tell them that it's wrong to break the law for some things and not others?" I struggled with that question as I became busier and busier. We prayed about it and were actually looking for facilities to possibly rent, but the cost was outrageous. When I got the call from the HD, I kinda felt it was an answer to prayer. I'm definitely not saying that God is out there looking to punish people who are baking cakes in their home, but if you're feeling conviction about it and you go to Him in prayer, that he'll answer those prayers... possibly in ways we don't like. I believe that what these ladies meant for "harm", turned out for the best for me and my family! I had friends and customers that were livid with these gals and told me all sorts of things they were going to do to get even. Part of me even wanted to, but I knew it wasn't up to me to get "pay-backs". As I said in my previous post, they got what was coming to them and they were shortly out of business.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:03pm
post #47 of 177

i'm assuming that you're assuming that there's been an assumption...hehehehe icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:04pm
post #48 of 177

It is assumed because that what everyone keeps saying.. "how could you turn someone in just because" and turning someone in just because is mean and spiteful"... it goes both ways. (not direct quotes)

Interesting read on the cottage food laws though. I am willing to bet that everyone operating under the umbrella of the cottage food law has not sent in their application for every item they sell (if at all). So even they are operating illegally and can get busted for that. Cottage food laws aren't as much of a free ride as many think them to be.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:04pm
post #49 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-pal

Before I was turned in to the HD, and before I became "legal", I wrestled with the whole "legality/morality" of it. It was something that was difficult for me. I had young children and I asked myself, "How can I tell them that it's wrong to break the law for some things and not others?" I struggled with that question as I became busier and busier. We prayed about it and were actually looking for facilities to possibly rent, but the cost was outrageous. When I got the call from the HD, I kinda felt it was an answer to prayer. I'm definitely not saying that God is out there looking to punish people who are baking cakes in their home, but if you're feeling conviction about it and you go to Him in prayer, that he'll answer those prayers... possibly in ways we don't like. I believe that what these ladies meant for "harm", turned out for the best for me and my family! I had friends and customers that were livid with these gals and told me all sorts of things they were going to do to get even. Part of me even wanted to, but I knew it wasn't up to me to get "pay-backs". As I said in my previous post, they got what was coming to them and they were shortly out of business.

I really commend you for your attitude and I wish you all the best. Too often it's all about getting even and that is the part I was referring to - spirit. The spirit of the heart really spells everything out pretty clearly to me...

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:06pm
post #50 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen

i'm assuming that you're assuming that there's been an assumption...hehehehe icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Wow it's getting heated in here! Everyone please retract your claws!

Deb_ Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:07pm
post #51 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobzC8kz

That being said, yes, if someone is baking and decorating from a house with filth all over it and cat boxes everywhere, then they should be turned in.

Poor kitties.......they're always getting picked on![img]Image[/img]

I'm soooo proud to have finally learned how to use these emoticons! Sorry, I felt this thread could use some smiles.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:07pm
post #52 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen

icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Deb_ Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:17pm
post #53 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Interesting read on the cottage food laws though. I am willing to bet that everyone operating under the umbrella of the cottage food law has not sent in their application for every item they sell (if at all). So even they are operating illegally and can get busted for that. Cottage food laws aren't as much of a free ride as many think them to be.

In MA where I am, we're required to give them the recipes we will be using. Now, we all know how often we TRY a new recipe and I'm pretty sure they don't want a note from me every time I try one, only if I start selling this new product.

So the way I handle this little issue is.......I TRY all my new recipes in my upstairs family unlicensed kitchen (I have a separate licensed one in my basement) and if I decide to add this to my flavors that I sell, than I will fill out the appropriate form and mail it in. No, they never asked me for it, I just try to follow the laws as they were explained to me.

Cakeonista Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:39pm
post #54 of 177

[quote="tbroskoski"]

Quote:

Why do you assume that's what we're assuming? icon_biggrin.gif I believe there ARE legitimate reasons to turning people in! I'm only speaking to those who DO do it for no "good reason"...[/quot

Ditto!
Happy Baking Everyone!

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:45pm
post #55 of 177

A pat on the back to home bakers and legal bakers. This is a very expensive hobby or job. I myself strugle with it all. I donate mine now that I am not "legal". I just fear the fines etc. My home is clean and I take pride in what I do or try and do and would hate always being afraid. My aunt recently passed away of cancer and we had a fundraiser to help come up with the money she needed to be layed at rest and the hd gave the okay that as long as I myself was not getting $ for the baked goods then they could sell them or ask for donations. I was happy with that. I have a relative who made and sold wedding cakes for years (still does actually) and the head of our county HD was one of her biggest orders and she wasn't even legal, never has been either. I guess that was part of being in a small town and they thought there was better things to do. Maybe someday when everything is better we can all make it work out. Good luck in what ever any does or decides. I know baking is a passion and I would hate for anyone to get into trouble for it, that is if they are not putting someone elses health at risk.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 8:14pm
post #56 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

In MA where I am, we're required to give them the recipes we will be using. Now, we all know how often we TRY a new recipe and I'm pretty sure they don't want a note from me every time I try one, only if I start selling this new product.

So the way I handle this little issue is.......I TRY all my new recipes in my upstairs family unlicensed kitchen (I have a separate licensed one in my basement) and if I decide to add this to my flavors that I sell, than I will fill out the appropriate form and mail it in. No, they never asked me for it, I just try to follow the laws as they were explained to me.

Yeah... that's what I was getting at. Not that you would have to submit every recipe that ever crossed your mind, but just the ones you use. icon_smile.gif In NH we are required to submit a product list but not the recipes.

I'm sure there are people operating under the umbrella of Cottage Food Laws that don't even know you have to submit anything to the state.. that's more of the angle I was coming from with my post. icon_biggrin.gif

(edited for some typos and bad grammar... eeeek)

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 8:43pm
post #57 of 177
Quote:

Um, being Christian has absolutely nothing to do with abiding by federal, state and county laws.

Sure it does. They have to find some reason to let everyone know how holy and wonderful they are after all. icon_rolleyes.gif

That and the Bible does have a passage about "rendering unto Caesar what is Caesar's" because we all know that people don't know to follow the laws without some 1700 year old holy book telling us to.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:50pm
post #58 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Quote:

Um, being Christian has absolutely nothing to do with abiding by federal, state and county laws.

Sure it does. They have to find some reason to let everyone know how holy and wonderful they are after all. icon_rolleyes.gif

That and the Bible does have a passage about "rendering unto Caesar what is Caesar's" because we all know that people don't know to follow the laws without some 1700 year old holy book telling us to.

I must say that I take offense to the above comments. I feel that is a HUGE generalization and "assumption" regarding all of us with Faith. As a Christian, I believe that ANYONE or ANY belief system is WONDERFUL if they have a good heart and lead their life in a caring and moral way- Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, atheist, doesn't matter, just be a good and kind person. I don't think she was saying that ONLY Christians believe in abiding by laws, just that as a part of her Christianity, she does (same as all lions are cats, not all cats are lions). Faith is a comfort to those of us who have it, and if those without a religious belief are happy and comforted in their lives that is what matters. Please don't be so judgemental to those of us who practice a religion, we all have a right to our own beliefs - a law of my land. Also, somewhat off topic, I just finished reading The Shack and The Faith Club, I highly recommend both thumbs_up.gif .

That being said, my belief system (just me, personally, ya'll have a right to your own beliefs on this) is that it is not my place to judge others. I wouldn't turn anyone for any reason other than unsanitary practices.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:01pm
post #59 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCmomof3boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Quote:

I must say that I take offense to the above comments. I feel that is a HUGE generalization and "assumption" regarding all of us with Faith. As a Christian, I believe that ANYONE or ANY belief system is WONDERFUL if they have a good heart and lead their life in a caring and moral way- Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, atheist, doesn't matter, just be a good and kind person. I don't think she was saying that ONLY Christians believe in abiding by laws, just that as a part of her Christianity, she does (same as all lions are cats, not all cats are lions). Faith is a comfort to those of us who have it, and if those without a religious belief are happy and comforted in their lives that is what matters. Please don't be so judgemental to those of us who practice a religion, we all have a right to our own beliefs - a law of my land. Also, somewhat off topic, I just finished reading The Shack and The Faith Club, I highly recommend both thumbs_up.gif .

That being said, my belief system (just me, personally, ya'll have a right to your own beliefs on this) is that it is not my place to judge others. I wouldn't turn anyone for any reason other than unsanitary practices.

Well said! And, frankly, that "1700 year old holy book" could do wonders for many in this world! Just watch the news today!

While each religion is different - can't we all agree that the lacking morality in society is a MAJOR problem for co-existence & it only perpetuates terroristic activity in the world. We don't have to believe in the same religion to know that humanity is lacking in compassion & morality is going by the wayside. Each religion's bible, while the small details may vary, they all focus on being a good person. So....I say, bring on that 1700 year old holy book - the world needs a dose!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:13pm
post #60 of 177

[/quote]

Well said! And, frankly, that "1700 year old holy book" could do wonders for many in this world! Just watch the news today!

While each religion is different - can't we all agree that the lacking morality in society is a MAJOR problem for co-existence & it only perpetuates terroristic activity in the world. We don't have to believe in the same religion to know that humanity is lacking in compassion & morality is going by the wayside. Each religion's bible, while the small details may vary, they all focus on being a good person. So....I say, bring on that 1700 year old holy book - the world needs a dose![/quote]

Thank you. There are so many similarities among the different religions & belief systems, all are a framework for treating each other with respect and kindness, if everyone could follow the universal tenets for humanity we'd be in good shape. Of course, the Bible is what I'm familiar with but any of the Books provide a basis for this and I certainly don't claim to have all of the right answers because of my Christian beliefs. I have all the answers because I'm that wonderful & brilliant (said while rolling my eyes and laughing icon_lol.gif ).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%