Anyone Ever Been Caught Selling Cakes From Home???

Decorating By SweetAsLemmons Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 11:24pm by ntertayneme

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 12:56am
post #91 of 177

This thread will get locked because/if people can't speak impartially about their religious beliefs (or lack thereof). No one has a problem talking about nonsense without getting their knickers in a wad.

icon_wink.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 12:58am
post #92 of 177

Speaking of threads being moved around, why is this one in "How do I?" icon_confused.gif

And Jkalman, you incite me! You incite me to go get some chocolate. (But come to think of it, everything incites me to go get chocolate, so maybe it isn't you in particular.)

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 12:59am
post #93 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I have no animosity towards anyone who makes the decision to be of faith. I was raised Catholic so I know the drill when it comes to religion. I have studied the Christian faith in many aspects as was required of me in school. I have studied eastern religions as well. I don't believe, and that's my thing. I have no problem with others who do. I find that often it's those who do have faith that have a problem with me. I make no judgements about those who believe, yet they make judgements about me. But whatever... I am not going to change their perceptions so I don't waste time with it. I represent a point of view they don't want to ponder and that's fine by me. I have friends who have faith and they have no problem with me not having faith. I think that's great right there.

I do think it funny though when people think that religion is the answer to the problems of the world. Morality isn't based in religion... religion is based in morality. Morality can exist without religion. I am an example of that. I live a very moral life and teach my children to do the same and I have no fear of retribution to blame for my choice to be a good person. I am not saying that people of faith are only good in fear of hell (or the equivalent), just that you don't have to fear going to hell to be a good person. I don't like being looked upon as one who incites. This isn't an us against them thing here... simply differing opinions.

Very well said...I almost forgot about this thread until I checked my e-mail! I'm glad that we can even have these conversations in this country...I know that not all are that fortunate.

While it can become heated to discuss religion - I do enjoy hearing everyone's point of view because I am not all-knowing, as wise as I may be! icon_biggrin.gif Next time we'll just have to make it a separate thread instead of hijacking a thread with a great question!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:03am
post #94 of 177

I just thought of an great topic...Would Jesus, Buddha and Mohammed bake from scratch or a mix? That one wouldn't be divisive at all.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:04am
post #95 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

I just don't understand what sets the two threads apart in terms of offensive info. (without religion being used as an excuse) Can someone explain the difference to me... in a nice way. icon_smile.gificon_confused.gif

I think in that thread, while the original topic was being discussed, there was always some level of interesting discussion going on. There were new developments at least until the health dept. visit yesterday. The thread was a million pages long because the topic was interspersed with pages of speculation and then pages and pages of silliness. But the thread itself did not really get nasty or out of hand - a few comments here and there but not some kind of knock-down, drag-out dead-end fight about a topic unrelated to cakes (e.g. religion, so that DOES set that thread apart) or even related to cakes (e.g. box vs scratch fights). For what it's worth it has been moved to the lounge anyway because it's now so far off topic, and then was locked due to the majority of the length of the thread being away from the original topic (Heath welcomed people to continue their silliness in a new thread.)

The mod's don't read each and every thread looking to ensure they are fitting within the CC rules. And some threads that veer into controversial territory veer back to topic before they "need" to be shut down. Sometimes they get shut down because people complain, not necessarily because they don't think people should speak their minds freely but because they feel they're on a cake site, not an us-vs-them religion/politics/whatever site. And the mods or Heath take the liberty to lock said threads sometimes because they did not create this website to be a watercooler for religious, political, etc. debate. Although oftentime the debate happens and when it's healthy and polite and not inflammatory or nasty (there is a difference between thought-provoking and just provoking) they don't feel the need to intervene.

In case that sounds like I know too much, no I have never requested a thread to be locked. I've just been here long enough to get the hang of these things.

ceshell Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:13am
post #96 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I just thought of an great topic...Would Jesus, Buddha and Mohammed bake from scratch or a mix? That one wouldn't be divisive at all.

It would if they let their dog into their kitchen.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:25am
post #97 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCmomof3boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

I could not have said it better myself thumbs_up.gif

I'm really quite disappointed in some of the "hateful" and "sarcastic" responses in recent posts. This is a great place to come and kick back and have a few laughs, let's not fill it with anger towards one another. We all know there's enough of that in this big world already, without adding to it. Love Thy Neighbor, ya know?

I realize that I let myself get sucked in with some posts that upset me, I am not angry. I really was trying to respond politely and just bring attention to the fact that we should all, both sides, have a right to our own beliefs as long as we "Love thy Neighbor". This really should be just about cake, not religion. I will now follow Cakepro's wise advice and not take the bait anymore. Happy caking to all!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh believe me, I was not referring to your posts at all! Sorry if you thought I was.

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:27am
post #98 of 177

i'm not sure why these always turn snippy and it seems like people want to instigate.

can't we all just get along?? icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:30am
post #99 of 177
Quote:

Personally, I hate sarcasm and sardonic comments, unless they are playfully self-referential.

icon_biggrin.gif you edited so many times and I had quoted your original unedited version, now it's not here anymore, but it's in my other post. People are really gonna be confused now icon_lol.gif

FromScratch Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:42am
post #100 of 177

Well if I incite you to eat chocolate then my job is done. icon_lol.gif

ceshell Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:45am
post #101 of 177

jkalman I wish you could incite me to STOP eating chocolate!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:50am
post #102 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Mohammed would bake vanilla bean cake no alcohol.

Jesus would use butter & no lard in his pie crust.

So Buddha would probably bake a lot of delicious free cookies.

I love the laughing Buddha. Everytime I see it/him I see the potential for a wonderful cake. But I would never make it because I don 't know how to do it to not offend people who truly believe in him. But oh that would be one of my most favorite cakes in the world to do. I might talk myself into doing a sculpture one day. (not edible)

Hmm, as far as scratch or mix...hmmm, I think they all would use both because they know both have useful properties.

FromScratch Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:53am
post #103 of 177

NEVER!!!! Chocolate is good for you... sooooooooooooo good.

CatherineR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineR Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:57am
post #104 of 177

I am still a newbie and have read many posts in different forums. Unfortunately, I have noticed that some of the forums start out with a question and good responses are given but eventually some snide remarks are made and then things to go downhill quickly. Yes the other "Officially Embarassed" forum eventually went off into a lot of directions and recipes but this one has taken a quick downslide to religious opinion that is starting to become offensive. Just get back to the subject at hand and make this about cakes and not a soapbox for your religious opinions. icon_sad.gif

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:00am
post #105 of 177

k8, idreamofcakes.com website has a buddha cake featured, and it is the bomb!! check it out!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:02am
post #106 of 177

Please, forgive my ignorance...

I've read chutzpah's comments on other threads when someone mentions something to the effect of "....because I'm a christian...." and I have seen her 'signature' under her avatar I still hadn't regarded her as being an atheist.

More like one of many who believe that a person's religion doesn't/shouldn't be the determining factor whether a person does what's right or not. Seeing people hide behind a religion or using a religion as a front or seeing some in church but forgetting to walk in HIS footsteps after church is let out...well, can definitely make a person callous toward religion as a whole. I'm not saying that's the case with her...I don't know her like that.

After hearing too many preachers judge wrongly...."look around you. See who is not here. You will then see who is not faithful in the word of God"....I no longer attend congregational church in any building. I don't think a christian or any other should have to voice that they are...it should be evident by how they live and relate to others.

ceshell Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:02am
post #107 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

NEVER!!!! Chocolate is good for you... sooooooooooooo good.

Darn you. Now I have to go eat some. party.gif It's dark chocolate with hazelnuts so it's DEFINITELY healthy.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:08am
post #108 of 177

Now I REALLY want chocolate, so much so that I'm drawn to that premium brand dark chocolate baking bar I have in my pantry. Can't let my DH see me eating those or he'll help himself to my baking stash from now on. Now... maybe if I eat IN the pantry with the door closed, too bad there's no lock.

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:14am
post #109 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen

k8, idreamofcakes.com website has a buddha cake featured, and it is the bomb!! check it out!

Ooooooohhhhhhh that so rocks, yeah I mean if someone orders one from me, I'm all over it. But if I just make one as a white pasty faced Christian that might not go over. I asked an Asian friend of mine and she agreed that the older generation might not get it kwim.

But that is way cool.

He's such a happy, make you smile when you see him sculpture. Perfect for cake. But not for eating it either. I don't know, too controversial within my own head. icon_biggrin.gif

thanks

FromScratch Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:15am
post #110 of 177

That's it!!!!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrr

I was contemplating making some hazelnut truffles tomorrow and now I'm gonna have to... and it's all your fault ceshell.. icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Ahhh well.. have to find SOMETHING to do while it snows another 15 inches. icon_rolleyes.gif Might as well be something with chocolate. icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:17am
post #111 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I've read chutzpah's comments on other threads when someone mentions something to the effect of "....because I'm a christian...." and I have seen her 'signature' under her avatar I still hadn't regarded her as being an atheist.

Me too and nothing wrong if she is either but she never said she was that I ever read. Dude, at a minimum she's a seeker if she's read the book six times.

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:36am
post #112 of 177

wow what happened here....I'm just here for the cake pics and stumbled across this...I'm getting outta here

to follow up on the original topic.....I'm a legal home baker and I would not turn someone in unless I knew they were baking in an unsanitary environment

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:37am
post #113 of 177

No, Never caught. Don't sell either

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:48am
post #114 of 177

I don't bake for anyone but my family and friends, so I can't be turned in, but I wouldn't turn in someone who was doing it either unless it was unsanitary or dangerous in some way.

Having said that, someone asked what makes it okay for that to be illegal and not report them while you turn around and report something else that is illegal. I don't know about you, but I see lots of illegal things I don't report. I don't call the cops with the license plate of every person I see speeding or do a rolling stop. When I lived in Utah, I didn't turn in my neighbor if they didn't have their sidewalk shoveled fast enough for city ordinances. I don't go do a citizens arrest when someone jaywalks. So yes, there are plenty of times that I don't report something illegal. We're not talking about a drug deal going down.

And for the record, yes I think people should make the effort to become legal and then they don't have to worry about it, but if you're going around turning in all the bakeries because it's illegal, but letting other illegal things pass, I would have to question your motives. (and the you and your in this is not directed at any specific person)

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:17am
post #115 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown99

I don't bake for anyone but my family and friends, so I can't be turned in, but I wouldn't turn in someone who was doing it either unless it was unsanitary or dangerous in some way.

Having said that, someone asked what makes it okay for that to be illegal and not report them while you turn around and report something else that is illegal. I don't know about you, but I see lots of illegal things I don't report. I don't call the cops with the license plate of every person I see speeding or do a rolling stop. When I lived in Utah, I didn't turn in my neighbor if they didn't have their sidewalk shoveled fast enough for city ordinances. I don't go do a citizens arrest when someone jaywalks. So yes, there are plenty of times that I don't report something illegal. We're not talking about a drug deal going down.

And for the record, yes I think people should make the effort to become legal and then they don't have to worry about it, but if you're going around turning in all the bakeries because it's illegal, but letting other illegal things pass, I would have to question your motives. (and the you and your in this is not directed at any specific person)

That reminded me of the endless laws that are, still on the books ...

according to this exerpt of some in NC alone, I am a career criminal!!!

scroll down and read a few.....hahahahahahahahaha....I should share these with DH...hahahahahahahaha

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/north-carolina

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:21am
post #116 of 177

Chutzpah, is that really a picture of you? If not who is it?

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:21am
post #117 of 177

"Maybe the Cake Central atheists can make their own Facebook group so you can go talk smack about all of us delusional people who pray to imaginary deities. Buh-bye! "

Well, Cakepro, that's just typical. I guess those of us who are atheists or agnostics or any other religion or faith that is different from yours are not welcome on Cake Central and that we just need to take our heathen ways and get out. Very nice.

You don't have to be a Christian to make moral decisions. When people constantly point out to everyone that being a Christian is why they have the ability to make moral decisions, it tacitly implies that people who aren't Christians don't have the same capacity to do so. As a non-Christian, I can tell you that message gets really old. If you don't want to make non-Christians defensive, stop suggesting that you "own" the moral high ground.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:39am
post #118 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

Quote:

Personally, I hate sarcasm and sardonic comments, unless they are playfully self-referential.

icon_biggrin.gif you edited so many times and I had quoted your original unedited version, now it's not here anymore, but it's in my other post. People are really gonna be confused now icon_lol.gif

Sometimes the edit button in my head is overridden by the adenaline in the fingers... icon_lol.gif

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:45am
post #119 of 177
Quote:

Me neither. I took her signature as her being a smarty pants. I personally think it's hysterical and I'm mad she used it first.

Quote:

That reminded me of the endless laws that are, still on the books ...

according to this exerpt of some in NC alone, I am a career criminal!!!

scroll down and read a few.....hahahahahahahahaha....I should share these with DH...hahahahahahahaha

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/north-carolina

from PA:
"A special cleaning ordinance bans housewives from hiding dirt and dust under a rug in a dwelling."

"A person is not eligible to become Governor if he/she has participated in a duel."

Heck I broke those laws this week!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:45am
post #120 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

"Maybe the Cake Central atheists can make their own Facebook group so you can go talk smack about all of us delusional people who pray to imaginary deities. Buh-bye! "

Well, Cakepro, that's just typical. I guess those of us who are atheists or agnostics or any other religion or faith that is different from yours is not welcome on Cake Central and that we just need to take our heathen ways and get out. Very nice.

You don't have to be a Christian to make moral decisions. When people constantly point out to everyone that being a Christian is why they have the ability to make moral decisions, it tacitly implies that people who aren't Christians don't have the same capacity to do so. As a non-Christian, I can tell you that message gets really old. If you don't want to make non-Christians defensive, stop suggesting that you "own" the moral high ground.

And that is why members of other faiths tends to get annoyed and respond. I don't see people of other faiths doing it and it isn't even the majority of Christians but those who do have a tendency to be vocal about it.

You can say all you want that you weren't trying to imply anything but it's how it comes off that matters. It isn't like this site is a Christian site or that everyone here believes in your brand of religion.

If all us evil atheists were trying to attack religion we would enter every prayer request thread to cause trouble but I don't see that happening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%