How To Freeze Properly?

Decorating By ss4him Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 10:53pm by kakeladi

ss4him Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 5

I am baking WASC right now, how do I cover it to freeze? I have reynold's wrap and foodsaver ziploc bags, is that enough?

Thank you all for all your help!

4 replies
CakeDiva73 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 5

I would wrap several times in Saran Wrap, rotating the cake so each new "edge" is covered and sealed. Then, if possible, put in a Ziploc bag. If the layer is too large. you wrap again in foil.

Foodsavers are tricky because they tend to ruin the integrity of the cake shape itself.....it sucks out all the air (including what is in the cake) and smooshes it to pieces.

When I am in a super picky mood, I wrap like crazy in Saran and then put the wrapped cakes back in their clean pans and pop in the freezer. A day later I can take them out of the cake pans an the cakes have been protected and tend to retain their shape better. And I never unwrap a cake until it is completely defrosted, or unless I can going to ice it right away. Otherwise the cake dries out.

Wildkatzcakes Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 5

ss4him,

I personally wrap the cake while still warm with at least 3 layers of saran wrap. Let freeze completely and then keep frozen until you are absolutely ready to ice. It will come out nice and moist if you get the first layer on while it is still frozen.

Wildkat

bashini Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 5

Hi, I let my cakes cool completely and then wrap it in saran wrap. Then in foil and then I put it in a freezer bag too. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 5

Actually it depends on how long you plan on keeping them in the fzr. If it's only up to 1 week I have put mine straight into the zip loc bag.
Usually I leave mine cool until warm - not hot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%