Wedding Cake For A Gift?!?

Decorating By autobuni Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 7:26pm by jlsheik

autobuni Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 5

So, my friend and his fiance are getting married and usually if they are good enough friends, I try to gift the wedding cake to them. I wanted to surprise them on their wedding day - but she is asking for prices now. Do I completley under quote her so she doesnt end up going somewhere else? (which I doubt). I thought it would be nice to get the $$ and then give it back to them for their honeymoon.
What to say. What to say!

4 replies
MnSnow Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 5

The money they have budgeted for the cake may be needed in another area. Why not just tell them you'll do the cake as their gift and let them spend the money elsewhere?

CakeDiva73 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 5

I agree with snow. I think it is one of those things that are too difficult to "gift" in secret. and if they know they have a surplus, they might choose to use it elsewhere.

If you are adamant about them having the cash as spending money on their honeymoon, just make the cake, accept payment and give them a check in the same amount as your gift.

** I would, however, determine size, shape & desing prior to letting them know the cake is in essence going to be free. I have heard some doozies about friend-brides ordering modestly and then finding out it's free and deciding they want 5 tiered basketweave masterpieces with 100 sugar flowers icon_lol.gif

Chef_Stef Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 5

If I have one I want to gift, I tell them up front I'm not going to charge them. BUT yes, I would set a limit. I tell them they can have pretty much anything they want, up to XX number of guests, usually 125 or so...If they want to invite 500 of their closest friends, they'd have to pay the balance.

Be careful about the design though--if they go off the deep end wanting sugar flowers etc., you'll have to decide how much you're willing to give.

And for some friends, I just tell them I'll give them "as much of a break" as I can (usually ingredients cost plus maybe a bit for my time). Depends who it is...if it's an old friend I see once every 3 years, and it's for her daughter who lives 10 states away, who I haven't seen for 12 years, they get the "as much of a break" deal. If it's my dear only cousin, they get the "anything you want, dear" deal.

Again...It's up to you, how much you want to give.

jlsheik Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 5

I say....give the gift now. That is one worth waiting on!! How sweet are you for doing that for them. Weddings are so expensive that I am positive they will be able to do something extra for themselves now.
Happy Caking!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%