Need Help With Construction

Decorating By toricp Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 12:32am by prterrell

toricp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toricp Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 3

I got an odd wedding cake to do. Knowing I would have questions about this, I tried to steer the bride to a more traditional cake. Not a chance. I know the cake will be beautiful when completed; it is very ellegantly designed. The tiers are in this order-8 square, 6 round single layer,12 square, 10 round single, 14 square. I think it will stand just fine. My question is what do I use under the 8 and 12 inch cakes? They are sitting on smaller cakes. And where can I get a cake board that will hold a 5 tier wedding cake?

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:30am
post #2 of 3

It's not the cake board that holds up the 5 tiers - it's your support system. The SPS will work - can't think of the name of the other system, but it's expensive icon_sad.gif
There are several 'upside down' cakes posted that might help you. Look thru the galleries and contact the creator for some help.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:32am
post #3 of 3

First of all, I would use styrofoam cake "dummies" for the 6 and 10 inch rounds, not actual cake. This will make the overall construction much sturdier and easier. Instead of cardboard rounds, I would use plastic cake plates under the 8 and 12 inch squares. For the base of the cake, I would use a piece of plywood 1/2" thick covered in cake foil.

HTH! Can't wait to see pics of the finished cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%