Need Help With Construction

Decorating By toricp Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 12:32am by prterrell

toricp Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 3

I got an odd wedding cake to do. Knowing I would have questions about this, I tried to steer the bride to a more traditional cake. Not a chance. I know the cake will be beautiful when completed; it is very ellegantly designed. The tiers are in this order-8 square, 6 round single layer,12 square, 10 round single, 14 square. I think it will stand just fine. My question is what do I use under the 8 and 12 inch cakes? They are sitting on smaller cakes. And where can I get a cake board that will hold a 5 tier wedding cake?

2 replies
kakeladi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:30am
post #2 of 3

It's not the cake board that holds up the 5 tiers - it's your support system. The SPS will work - can't think of the name of the other system, but it's expensive icon_sad.gif
There are several 'upside down' cakes posted that might help you. Look thru the galleries and contact the creator for some help.

prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:32am
post #3 of 3

First of all, I would use styrofoam cake "dummies" for the 6 and 10 inch rounds, not actual cake. This will make the overall construction much sturdier and easier. Instead of cardboard rounds, I would use plastic cake plates under the 8 and 12 inch squares. For the base of the cake, I would use a piece of plywood 1/2" thick covered in cake foil.

HTH! Can't wait to see pics of the finished cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%