This Cake White, With Red & Black Trim???

Decorating By ranbel Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 5:46pm by Bellatheball

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 19

Hi all
My niece found this cake on this site and fell in love with it. I am doing her bridal shower cake in 2weeks and she wants this design, but trimmed with black & red. Her colors are black/white/red.
I really don't like using black b/c icing because of it dying your teeth, tonge & mouth.
What is your thought of covering the entire cake with fondant? This is how I have it pictured in my head:
White corset with black lace trim with red roses where on this cake they are pink. Also the string up the front in black...and I thought of placing in on a red covered board.
To whom ever this cake belongs too, it is so tastfully done and I'm hoping you don't mind me using your design. And, I glad my niece has good taste and decided on a corset with such elegance...
LL

18 replies
LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 19

that sounds nice...and you will be able to get your colors in without bitter teeth staining black being all over the cake. I just did a Twilights cake and had warned the person but they insisted on a black cake...I told them to scrape the icing off knowing it would be nasty...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:57am
post #3 of 19

You can always do it in buttercream, then use black and red fondant to accent it. icon_smile.gif I have done buttercream boob cakes with fondant clothes many of times.

ranbel Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:05pm
post #4 of 19

Yes, I was also thinking of that to cut cost...how did you work around the boobs to get them smooth....I guess with using cornelli lace, it won't be as noticable if it's not just perfect...
Again, thank you for your help.

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 19

I've done a corset cake with red, black, and white for my best friend's shower. It's all buttercream. It's hard to smooth the buttercream over the boobs, but it is possible. I've done several boob cakes in different colors. I pipe the icing on with just a coupler, not a tip, on the bag. Then I smooth it out, let it crust and then smooth with a Viva. I've done it where I frosted the boobs on the cake, and off the cake. It was much easier to frost them off the cake and then place them on. (I'm self-taught, and I hadn't found cake central when I did my first boob cake, so I didn't know any better.)

My cornelli lace isn't that good, but you are right, ranbel, that it helps cover up any mistakes on the boobs. There's not much black, so they don't have to scrape so much icing off if they don't want to eat it. I used chocolate icing and added black, so it tasted better.

ranbel Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 19

You are probably right shannon100 about icing the boobs "off" the cake..I certainly didn't think about that.
Wish me luck, I will post the pic once it's done...the shower is feb 7th, so I still have over a week....

shannon100 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:50pm
post #7 of 19

Just to clarify, I did the white icing on the boobs off the cake, but I did the cornelli once it was on the cake. I did still have to touch up some of the base icing on the boobs when I placed them, but it wasn't that bad.

Can't wait to see the final pic! I love the design the bride picked out. It is a very classy corset!

ranbel Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 19

Yes, I thought it was classy too. She is young, but she has a good level head on her and she makes me a proud aunt. icon_razz.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:51pm
post #9 of 19

ranbel, have you ever tried adding cocoa powder to you black to cut the bitter taste. I find it also helps darken with adding a ton of black. They have semi sweet and milk chocolate cocoa powder. You might give it a try using just a little for practice and see how you like it. I like you choice of design change.

ranbel Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:45pm
post #10 of 19

Thanks for the idea dldbrou. But, does it still leave your teeth, mouth and all things attached black???

And, thank you for your inspiration on the design change. I am excited about making it..

Does anyone know this: I plan to bake a 1/2 sheet cake to carve. Do you place the boobs on top or position them at the end...silly question I know, but I don't want enormous boobs...she a tiny little petite thing...

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 12:48am
post #11 of 19

I am not sure how much black to chocolate you will be using. When I had used this method I think I did more dark choc. than black coloring and did not have a problem. Like I said do a test first to see if it is what you like in the way of how black it is and the taste. Something I saw on a cake show today, they used Licorise to decorate a cake. I do not know how they got such fine strings from the Licorise, but it looked great. Don't know that I would care for the taste on a cake.

The first thing I thought of when you said that the girl had small boobs was just use cupcakes. LOL I really can not help you since I have never decorated a cake like this. Hope someone else can help.

shannon100 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:21am
post #12 of 19

I'm not sure if there's anyway to avoid black staining peoples' mouths and teeth. I think that any strong color with buttercream will stain peoples' mouths. (i.e. green, red, blue, black, etc.) I guess just use a very small tip so there's less black on the cake? People can just scrape the black off if they don't want to eat it.

As for the boob placement, they are on top. If you look at the link I posted previously, look in the photo stream and check out the other angle of the cake. You can see how it's placed. (Don't pay attention to my mistakes with the flesh colored portion! haha) I used little glass bowls that are slightly larger than cupcakes. The cake I linked is a 9x13, carved. You don't want to make the boobs too small in proportion to the base cake or it will look funny.

rlreynolds217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlreynolds217 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:15pm
post #13 of 19

ladies, I just had a request to do the cake below using buttercream and not fondant...I don't really know how to charge for it? The lady is trying to haggle a little, but it's a pretty expensive cake. What are your thoughts?
LL

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:22pm
post #14 of 19

set your price

she takes it or leaves it.

for that I'd start at $3/serving in BC -- but, she's not going to get all the extra froo-froo that the fondant allows! (black bows, white-wrapped black cording)

rlreynolds217 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:33pm
post #15 of 19

OK...that is where I am having problems, as to what to set it at. She said her budget is $50, and that is way to low!!!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:40pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlreynolds217

OK...that is where I am having problems, as to what to set it at. She said her budget is $50, and that is way to low!!!!

her budget does NOT set your price.

boy I sure wish it did! --- hello, car mechanic, my budget is $100 for a complete brake job and engine overhaul. --- when the mechanic got done gasping for breath from laughing so hard, if not having already just hung up on me, I'm sure I'd learn my budget has nothing to do with cost of the job.

set your price. she takes it or leaves it.

in this case, have the number of a local discount bakery handy and give it to her when she balks.

rlreynolds217 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:42pm
post #17 of 19

rlreynolds217 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:56pm
post #18 of 19

Doug...LOL! All of this seems like common sense (on my part, of course). You are right. I have defintely hosed myself a few times too many!!! Thanks!!!!

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:46pm
post #19 of 19

I am such a ding dong. I didn't look at the date of your post so I'm half way through reading it before seeing your avitar and I ask myself, "Isn't she describing that cake in her avatar??" LOL. Carry on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%