Mock Bettercream Problem--Help

Baking By dandelion56602 Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 3:24pm by melony68

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:51am
post #1 of 4

I thought i'd try the mock bettercream recipe listed in the cupcake forum. It's this one

Mock Whipped Cream Frosting with Variations

5 tbsp. flour
1 c. milk

Put above ingredients in a blender until completely mixed or mix with a whisk, but it must be completely blended. Put into a small pot and cook over low heat until the consistency of pudding. COVER AND COOL COMPLETELY. Set aside, then:

1/2 c. butter or margarine
1/2 c. Crisco shortening
1 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Cream together 1/2 cup of shortening and 1/2 cup of butter or margarine until light and fluffy. To that add 1 cup granulated sugar a little at a time and beat until the sugar is dissolved. THIS MAY TAKE AS LONG AS TEN MINUTES - BE PATIENT. When dissolved or near to being dissolved, add the cooled flour mixture and beat until fluffy, then add vanilla.

Ok, now my problem! My sugar isn't dissolving. It's been beating almost 20 min & still as grainy as ever. What in the world could I have done wrong? All the amounts were right--I double checked.

3 replies
LadyG33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyG33 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 4

Well, I wouldnt think granulated sugar would dissolve without heat.
I would try it again but use powdered sugar.

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:27am
post #3 of 4

No...don't remake with PS...that won't work.

It takes a while for the sugar to dissolve...I have made this many times...and sometimes it takes longer than ten minutes. Are you sure that the grittyness is sugar and not grainy flour? If your flour mixture was smooth and no lumps whatsoever, then I suggest this...I have done this once myself. Turn off the mixer...let it cool down a bit and then beat it again. This method of cooking the flour and milk mixture is also used for twinkee type filling and it does take a while to get the sugar incorporated with out grittiness...keep beating it. Hope this helps. Good luck.

melony68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melony68 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 4

This is the same recipe my mother has used for years for her red velvet cake. The secret to this is that you use the finest grain sugar you can find. She always uses Dominos granulated sugar. She finds if you buy a cheaper brand it doesn't dissolve as well. Also make sure you store your sugar in an air tight container to prevent it from having excess moisture. Keep trying, don't give up it's really good. Once you get the frosting down try it on your Red Velvet instead of cream cheese. It's great!

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%