A Story About My Cousin ~ Texting & Driving *show Your K

Lounge By CakeDiva73 Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 10:06am by veejaytx

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:26am
post #1 of 9

I would not normally post this in our happy cake forum but I know many of you have children, perhaps driving teenagers, and thought that if just one of them read this and it stopped them from texting and driving, it would be worth it.

Chelsea was 16 years old and my cousin's only child. She was always so happy and an awesome athlete and SO excited about getting her license..... she just got it in November. And now she is gone.

http://www.wcmessenger.com/news/content/EkFkVVAyEurInxELtu.php

http://www.wcmessenger.com/news/content/EkFklEVAFuLIMWRmKp.php

I just thought maybe if some kids read about someone their own age, maybe they will realize they aren't invincible.... my son is 15 and always seems to have this attitude like "he knows", or "it's not going to happen to him, etc". This all came to a halt Wednesday morning.

Please don't think I am posting this to get any type of condolence or attention - my cousin is the one who needs our prayers and sadly, there is nothing anyone can do or say to take away her pain, and of course that breaks my heart.

But I noticed that since this happened, my cell phone is neither glanced at nor touched if it rings, vibrates, etc. when I am behind the wheel... and I thought maybe that may be the only good thing that comes from this tragedy. Thank You.

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:36am
post #2 of 9

My youngest gets her driver's license next week. Your timing in sharing this tragic story is incredible. I've already emailed the article to my daughter with a subject line of "Read this .... NOW!"

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:48am
post #3 of 9

Ironically you were the first one here that I thought of Deb. I remember you talking about your daughter (maybe you even said she was 15 or so).

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 6:35am
post #4 of 9

I am so incredibly sorry for your family's loss. What a terrible tragedy. I am amazed how many times I am out driving and I see teenagers texting while they drive. Thank you for sharing the story. I will certainly pass this message on to friends with teenage children.

starra328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starra328 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:09am
post #5 of 9

So sorry about your lost, my uncle just died january ninth he was only 47 we found out he was sick last april and he's gone already.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 10:56am
post #6 of 9

I'm so sorry for your family's loss, and so sorry that this seems to be happening so often these days.

Last week there was a feature on the evening news about a new school here (I think it was here, in the DFW area, anyway) that gives simulated driving courses, main purpose: to show kids (and others) how dangerous it is to text while driving. I will see if I can locate any information about it and pass it on if I do.

The texting while driving has become as big a problem as drinking and driving, seems to me.

This is not too far from me, and I noticed that school lost another student recently, very sad for all concerned.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:26pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you for sharing. I am sorry for your loss.

My dh totaled his car last fall with the kids in it-texting. People don't realize how it takes your concentration away from the road.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 9

wow, that is so sad. thanks for posting the story, i admit i have texted while driving, this is an eye-opener. icon_sad.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:06am
post #9 of 9

I wasn't able to track down the story I saw on local TV, but with some Google help, I see that several places are using these schools, trying to show drivers how dangerous texting while driving is. Also, in some states it is against the law to do text while driving. Eventually, and probably necessarily, it will become against the law everywhere to talk on a cell phone while driving, as it is in some areas here in Texas.

Kids will just do what they want to do, generally, they think they are indestructible...I know my daughter thought so when she was a teenager. It is so sad when their lessons cost them their lives.

Once again, I'm very sorry for your family's loss.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%