I Hate Working On A Cake I Don't Like!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 3:22am by indydebi

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 2:53am
post #1 of 12

Sorry, just out to vent ... I promised a friend I'd have her brother's cake for his birthday on Wednesday. I'm on call at the hospital Tuesday, which means the cake has to be done by tomorrow night. It's supposed to be a wrestling belt, since her brother is into wrestling. I, however, am not, and I have no fun exciting ideas to add in as I go. And for some reason, it seems like every step of the way, everything I've done on this cake has just been a little more difficult and unnecessarily tricky than usual: the chocolate MMF I made as a base was WAY too hard to make it do what I wanted it to do; the 8in round I used as the bottom part of the belt got shoved up against something else on the counter when I was making the fondant and it got all dinged up around the edges; I had just BARELY enough buttercream, for some reason ... anyhow! That's usually okay if I'm excited about the cake and enjoying myself. But right now, I have forty two different things I should be working on, and I'm not even having a good time with this stinking thing. It doesn't look like I would hope my cakes would look, and I have close to no motivation to fix it icon_mad.gif .

Grumble grumble. Anyhow! Thanks for letting me vent! Off to make a small itty bitty eagle head icon_confused.gif ... icon_cry.gif .

11 replies
sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 12

Welcome to the title "Cake Diva" icon_biggrin.gif . I gave myself this title last year when I started turning down orders because I couldn't get into the design. There's nothing wrong with it, I think it's just the artist in me. Nobody ever told Picasso what to paint, did they? This is why I worry about having a successful cake biz. Take a deep breath and get through this one. And in the future don't feel bad about turning down orders.

emiyeric Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 12

Heehee, Cake Diva! I like it!

This isn't even an order, it's just for a friend ... you're right, I should have known better icon_smile.gif. I'll definitely use your advice next time I get a cake request remotely linked to wrestling icon_wink.gif.

Heavenlydelights107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heavenlydelights107 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 12

I feel the same way when I do a cake. It is hard to get creative with something you don't like or know nothing about.

I also hate when I get people who have no clue what they want, just a "birthday" cake, no colors, flavors in mind.

I just took an order for a baby shower cake that the lady was like "oh I trust your creativity". Gee thanks for the compliment, but come on.

Oh and can I say her color scheme was Red, Yellow and Blue???? I am omitting the red because I just can't do it!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenlydelights107

I feel the same way when I do a cake. It is hard to get creative with something you don't like or know nothing about.

I also hate when I get people who have no clue what they want, just a "birthday" cake, no colors, flavors in mind.

I just took an order for a baby shower cake that the lady was like "oh I trust your creativity". Gee thanks for the compliment, but come on.

Oh and can I say her color scheme was Red, Yellow and Blue???? I am omitting the red because I just can't do it!

To me, a person trusting your creativity is the greatest compliment of all. I often get requests like that. If you look in my photos theres one of a horse popping out of a gift box with a lamb and a pig. The request: My daughter wants a wedding cake (tiered) with animals on it. I asked her what kind of animals and she said we live in a rural area, so she likes farm animals.

These are the cakes I live for because I can let the creativity flow and I haven't had a complaint yet, quite the opposite.

Enjoy the moment and let your mind run wild! The possibilities are endless. icon_biggrin.gif

emiyeric Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:01am
post #6 of 12

Well, for better or for worse, the cake's done, hehe ... the most entertaining part of it was trying to figure out exactly how much "Bling" is enough, and how much would be crossing the line (hard to imagine I could in this case, when I was looking at models of wrestling belts, but I didn't want a 30-something-year-old man to feel he'd gotten too girly of a cake icon_wink.gif ).
I actually do like it when people just want me do whatever I want with the cake, I have a ton of fun ... it was just this stinking wrestling motif that threw me for a loop this time! By far my least favorite of cakes thusfar icon_smile.gif.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 12

You should post a pic. I took a peek at your cakes and you do fabulous work. I'll bet the belt is just as fabulous! icon_biggrin.gif

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 12

Must be a 'cake diva' here too; I made my DH birthday cake last week and dreaded it. Not that it was hard, it was an MSU cake, but so not my thing! It showed in the cake too, and I won't even post it here! I complained the whole time. The cake previous was a camoflauge cake, and I'm making a Carolina Panthers/musical theme added somehow on Friday for two friend's combined birthdays.....yuk!!! I so don't want to do it! I just like pretty, or cute cakes, not guy ones. I'd fail miserably if I were charging!

Ummm.....so any ideas how I can combine a Carolina panthers and a muscial theme on one cake???! Please??!!!

emiyeric Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 12

How'bout a gumpaste panther playing a big tuba on top of the cake? Heehee ...

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:22pm
post #10 of 12

Too funny! Not exactly what I had in mind.......

emiyeric Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:37am
post #11 of 12

Thought I had posted this, but it didn't make it somehow ...

Holy cow, Eisskween! I love your horse!!! What a great idea, and what creativity! They must have been thrilled with the end result.

I'll post a picture of my cake in a little bit here, as soon as the kids go down. Not my brightest moment, but I know the thing itself actually tasted delicious (very happy with how it turned out taste-wise! icon_smile.gif ). Till later!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:22am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenlydelights107

That's when I tell them, "Oh good! I get to do anything I want and you dont' get to complain about it!" icon_biggrin.gif That usually gets them in gear.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%