Help - Cake Construction / Torting Questions

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm by -K8memphis

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 2:42am
post #1 of 18

I am a lurker - mostly because I only do cakes for family and don't have much (any?) expertise to offer.

Anyway, I am making a birthday cake for my stepmom in a couple weeks. My idea is to make a cake shaped like a vase, with either fondant strip roses or the Starburst roses.

I was thinking of making the vase from the mini ball pan. I am planning on using one full ball at the bottom, then another lower ball part for the top part of the vase (cut down to make look right). I was then going to use another partial top ball part to make a mound for the roses. Now . . . if you can even follow that . . . my questions.

- Will this construction even work?
- I'm planning on placing a dowel all the way through the cake. Will I also need to use a cakeboard in the middle?
- Would it be possible to torte the ball sections to add more filling? Or would it make the cake too unstable?
- I haven't made either style of roses - are the fondant strip roses or the Starburst roses easier to handle?

Thanks for your help!

17 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 3:14am
post #2 of 18

The only thing I can help you with is the roses. I feel the fondant strip is easier. Good luck.

fruitsnack Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 18

I will try to attach a sketch of what I'm trying . . . maybe that will help.

Any other advice?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 18

I think starburst roses are very easy. I made them along with tootsie roll roses. Why not use 6" x 3" until you get the height and just do a little carving. I would rather torte a 6" than all those ball shaped cakes. My opinion...also a lurker here! LOL.

fruitsnack Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 18

I thought about that . . . I didn't know if I could get it shaped evenly all the way around. I may end up doing that, though.

Anyone else?

fruitsnack Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:32am
post #6 of 18

Hello? Anyone else?

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:05am
post #7 of 18

I would use 6 x 3 and carve what you want. Yes, you do want to use cardboard and dowels/straws about every two layers of cake and then the dowel down the center.

HTH

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 11:47am
post #8 of 18

I think that if you use the ball pans it may work, it just might be a lil tough. You would have to level the top an bottom of the full ball and level the bottom of the half so it will sit flat onto the other layer, then put a dowel in the center for support. I hope that makes sense, I have the vision in my head and it seems like it would work.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:02pm
post #9 of 18

Definitely use the cardboard for added stability and to avoid slippage and sinking, especially between the base and the bowl of the vase. And yes, use the dowel down the middle, alsoo for stability.

The strip or ribbon roses are easy. I don't know about the starburst as I have not heard of them or attempted them.

Good luck and please post the photo when you are done. I would love to see how it turns out. I bet it will be beautiful!

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:16am
post #10 of 18

Oh yea, if you go to youtube.com they have a video on how to make the starburst roses. I've never tried them, but it looks pretty easy. I do however think that the ribbon roses will be much faster and easier tho. HTH Good Luck!

ETA: also with the ribbon roses, you will have more control and choice over the color you want the roses to be, since starbursts are already colored.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:24am
post #11 of 18

That particular shape looks more like a basket than a vase to me. I think I would trim away some of the fullness to get a bit taller, thinner shape.

I think I would stick the flowers on straws to get some height too, taller in the middle. Add some leaves undeneath there to give it a real depth. And to hide/cover the straws.

And I mean I'm not trying to push you out of your comfort zone--I'm just adding some of my flower pot thoughts.

fruitsnack Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:31am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

That particular shape looks more like a basket than a vase to me. I think I would trim away some of the fullness to get a bit taller, thinner shape.

I think I would stick the flowers on straws to get some height too, taller in the middle. Add some leaves undeneath there to give it a real depth. And to hide/cover the straws.

And I mean I'm not trying to push you out of your comfort zone--I'm just adding some of my flower pot thoughts.

I wonder how much of the basket-ness has to do with my terrible drawing skills. icon_smile.gif

Good point, though. I think I'm leaning toward using the 6" pans and then carving out the vase shape.

The straws are a good idea - I was wondering how I would get the height, especially at the center. I was thinking about using a dome of cake to help with that, too.

Two more questions -

- I can make the fondant flowers ahead, right?

- Any ideas on what I could use for leaves? More fondant or something else?

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:49am
post #13 of 18

Yes you can make the flowers and leaves ahead. Yes fondant leaves are fine.

Well your drawing is fine. I mean a ball pan makes a ball shape and most vases have tapering even if they are fat in some places.

But a coupla six inch cakes would be great.

Y'know what? Find a real vase or a picture of a vase to go by.

Every four to five inches in height you need to put cardboard and support. Cut your cardboard a tad smaller than the cake so you can ice it without it showing.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 2:49am
post #14 of 18

Yes, you can make your flowers in advance. As far as the leaves, I would go with a fondant/gumpaste 50/50 mix. They dry faster than plain fondant and are sturdier.

fruitsnack Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:06am
post #15 of 18

Gumpaste.

I've never used it before. I was going to use MMF for the flowers (although I've never made that before either). Do you have to make your own gumpaste?

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:47pm
post #16 of 18

Fruit buddy, gum paste is a whole 'nuther subject. Check out some tutlrials and articles. I know Tonedna has some wonderful youtube ones about flower making.

fruitsnack Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:37pm
post #17 of 18

Oh, dear. Gumpaste scares me . . . any other ideas on what I can use for the leaves? Will straight MMF work?

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitsnack

Oh, dear. Gumpaste scares me . . . any other ideas on what I can use for the leaves? Will straight MMF work?

Girl, gum paste is fondant with another coupla ingredients in it. No worries.

What about using some non-Wilton store bought fondant and add tylose powder for roses made petal by petal.

But I mean rolled roses made from one length of dough could be made from store bought fondant with cornstarch added to help dry it. Leaves also.

Or you could use candy clay <<<< good idea. Now don't ask me how to make it--go look it up (google it or something) then ask another question. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%