Wrinkles When Covering Cake With Fondant

Decorating By sillyjodes Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 6:31am by sillyjodes

sillyjodes Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 11

Hi, I'm taking the wilton fondant and gumpaste class now and I keep having a lot of draping and wrinkles in my fondant. I'd appreciate some tips or links about how to get the fondant smooth.

10 replies
kakeladi Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:10am
post #2 of 11

Once you place the fondant over the cake you need to lightly pull it away from the cake as you run your hand down the side of the cake. Just keep doing this all around the cake. One thing that help in the beginning is to place your cake on a slightly smaller item to elevate it off the table. Now the weight of the fondant will pull down w/o any wrinklesicon_smile.gif You have to work *super fast* to cut off any overhand below the cake board so it doesn't tear.

sillyjodes Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 2:18am
post #3 of 11

my speed is a little more "super slow" than "super fast," perhaps that's the problem. I've been elevating it on the fondant box, so that's a plus. However, when I try to work the wrinkles out, I just end up with a big mess of the at the back.

bashini Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 10:12am
post #4 of 11

Here are some links from aine2's website. This one is about covering a round cake and the board.

And this one is how she covers a square cake,

" rel="nofollow">

sillyjodes Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 11

Oh thanks for the links. could I be rolling the fondant too thin? She said 1/4", but I'm pretty sure mine is thinner than that. Probably closer to 1/8" or less.

MacsMom Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:58am
post #6 of 11

Probably too thin... I didn't discover the rolling it out thicker for quite some time, but it does make it easier to cover a cake and hides bumps in your crumbcoat better. Do you buy pre-made? I make my own and add glycerine to it - it helps with pliability.

sillyjodes Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:03am
post #7 of 11

So far I've been using the elmer's glue like wilton fondant in class. I tried to make MMF once, but it turned out like a brick. I've been wanting to make some MFF to practice at home, but haven't found time yet. I'll try it thicker this week and see if that helps.
Thanks so much you guys!

MacsMom Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:34am
post #8 of 11

MMF does harden as it cools, but a quick zap in the micro will soften it. Here's is the link to my recipe, including tips for dealing with MMF, if you're interested:

Sweetcakes23 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:50am
post #9 of 11

Sillyjodes, I'm sure someone has told you this, but a tip to remember is: As soon as you get the fondant draped on cake, cut all excess off the bottom edge to prevent the heaviness from pulling and tearing the fondant. THEN I dust heavily with cornstarch all over, start pushing the fondant smoother from center out, and working it down the edges, while always lifting, and placing, lifting and placing, over and over....This works like a charm with my MMF.
Good luck!

FullHouse Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:00am
post #10 of 11

I had a lot of trouble with wrinkles too when I first started. Other than practice, practice, practice, I found that rolling it 1/4" thick (I always wanted to roll it thin when practicing because the fondant was expensive - now I make my own) and lifting it away from the sides gently while smoothing down were the things I didn't realize to do in the beginning and really wound up making all the difference. Be patient and practice, it will get easier & smoother.

Also, with the MMF, if it's too stiff, after the first 4-5 cups, add the PS gradually, sometimes you won't need much more than 1 1/2 or 1/ 3/4 pounds, I hardly ever need the entire 2lb bag. I also found that mixing with a wooden spoon then kneading by hand gets me much better results than using my KA. With the KA, I can get more PS in the mixture and it winds up being too stiff after it rests.

sillyjodes Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:31am
post #11 of 11

Thanks so much you guys! I had a much easier time in class today. I rolled the fondant using the thickest guides and it was so much easier to cover. I had very few wrinkles in my finished product. Now all I need to do is try it with some homemade fondant that doesn't smell like elmer's glue. I just love this site as I have learned so much from all you wonderful people!