Need Help With Sps, Thanks !!!

Decorating By ranbel Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 3:23pm by aswartzw

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,
I am thinking of investing in the SPS for a 4 tier cake I have coming up in a couple of months.

I was looking of global sugar arts's website...my questions is: Do I purchase the 4in pillars or 9in pillars? what if your cake is higer than 4in? would you then use the 9in pillars and cut them down? Are they pretty easy to cut.

Next question:
I am planning to stack 12/10/8/6. Would you use the same size plate under the cake? say a 10in plate under a 10in cake? What about shrinkage of your cake? Will the edge of the plate be showing? Or, do you use an different size plate?

Silly questions I know, but I just trying to visalize how this will work, before I make my purchase...

Thanks a mil

8 replies
JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 12:59am
post #2 of 9

I ordered the 9 inch, because my cakes always end up taller than 4 inches. The pillars I got had smaller sections, they weren't 9 inch solid. I've heard the pillars are hard to cut by hand but easy with a band saw. As to the plates, I would think a border would cover any edge, but you could order a 9 inch plate for a 10 inch cake if you wanted. There's still a cardboard to support the cake.

Jodie

ranbel Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 2:22am
post #3 of 9

Thanks Jodie,

yes I was looking at the 9in pillars online and they don't appear to be actually 9 inches. They had some kind of adapter/extension, or something. Not really sure.
As for the cake I'm doing, it has no border. It will be covered in fondant and will have a satin ribbon around the bottom of each tiers...that's why I was wondering if you would use a plate one size smaller. As for the plates, the smallest one I seen was a 6in round. If you do go one size smaller, how would that work? Wouldn't you need a 5in plate????

ranbel Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 9

Anyone else use the SPS with no border? Does your plate show???
Or, did you use a plate 1in smaller....

Thanks...

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 9

I used the smaller plate. Also, the pillars are easy to cut with a plumbers pipe cutter. These are inexpensive to buy and just done by hand. I use the 9" pillars and cut to fit. HTH

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 9

I just ordered my first set of SPS and can't wait to use them but the only tip I have for you: It sounds like you are describing the Multi-piece 9" columns. You want the Original scored 9". The two are very different and the website I ordered mine from did not make this clear on their website so triple check that you are ordering the Original scored columns.

aswartzw Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 9

Something else, I don't think they make a 5" plate (the smallest is 6"). I needed a 4" and couldn't find anything smaller than the 6" so I just ordered the non-scalloped edge plates and I really, really hope that the icing is thick enough to cover it.

ranbel Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 2:16pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks aswartzw...

I also noticed the smallest plate was a 6in....good tip on getting to smooth edge plates...
I'll be sure a pay close attention to the size of the pillars.. Will these plates work with the plastice pillars that wilton sells, that you cut to size???

aswartzw Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:23pm
post #9 of 9

Sorry for the late reply but I'm pretty sure it's a no. I don't know why exactly but I've read things similar to this and it's always a no.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%