Advise Refrigerating Or Freezing A Carved Cake?

Decorating By handymama Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 4:22am by handymama

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 3

I agreed to do a 3D carved sports car groom's cake--my first--for the end of July, and the client is just ecstatic. Then I realized that I'll be gone to the ICES Convention! The cake is due on Friday and I would have to have it done on Tuesday. If this was a sheet, stacked, or even 2D carved I'd have no problem with doing it ahead and leaving it in the 'frig. But, because it's carved I'm concerned about it becoming misshapen under the weight of the fondant. If it's refrigerated should it be covered? If uncovered, won't the fondant dry out? Whether frozen or refrigerated what precautions need to be made when taken out? Thanks to all who have blazed this trail before me.

2 replies
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 3

Personally, a carved car should hold up pretty well. If it was something that had more of a higher profile, I'd have reservations, but a low profile car should survive quite well in the frig for a few days. I would cover lightly with plastic wrap-or if your frig has the room, put the car in a cake box.

I definitely wouldn't freeze for fear of sweating, colors running, fondant forming bubbles....

HTH

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 4:22am
post #3 of 3

I have a commercial 'frig, so can easily fit it in. She's thinking she wants a carrot cake and mine is quite solid so I'm thinking that will help overall.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%