I just purchased the Fantasy Castle Cake set from Wilton. My daughter saw the picture of this cake and decided that she wanted it for her 4th birthday. I was reading the directions that came with the set and decided that I should ask if anyone has any suggestions on making this cake. I'm hoping it won't be as difficult as I am imagining. I'm fairly new to decorating cakes and would appreciate any tips!
I have never used this kit although I have seen it. I know there are tons of pics on this site that have castle cakes that didn't use this kit and I must say, they look way better than the ones with the kit. I would search the gallery and take a look-see! If you see anything you like, read through the comments and there are usually some sort of questions answered that will guide you into making the cake. If not, you can always contact the creator and they are usually pretty kind and will be glad to give advice. Good luck
I just made this for the first time in Dec and need to do it again in Feb. I'll be honest, I'm a newbie too and it was overwhelming. My suggestions are as follows (based on my experience)
1. plan ahead, it is time consuming so make everything you can ahead of time.
2. I used MMF for flowers and the sides of the cake. I made the flowers 2 weeks ahead of time and kept them on a big tray covered in plastic. I made my royal icing 1 week ahead as well as my buttercream.
3. I had my husband drill holes in the turrets that I used on top of the cake so I could put the dowel through the hole and into the cake for more stability.
4. It's a huge, huge cake and I made if for a 5 year olds party that only had 8 girls. WAAAAY too much cake for that size party so if your daughters party is going to be small, I would scale down. that's what I'm doing in February for my niece.
5. I never used candy melts to hold things into place. I just royal icing. Your preference I suppose.
That's all I can think of right now.......If I think of anything else, I'll let you know!
I am new to this too with no cake decorating classes under my belt...just all the people at CC to thank a million times for all of the inspiration and tips...
I ditto lolobell, I too just made this cake for my lil girl the begining of this month. I've had the kit for a year...lol Scared to death to try but I promised my lil girl for her 4th bday.
I made my flowers and the bc a few days ahead, I learned that I could of iced the turrets (cones) in advance also. That would of saved a TON of time. Also make sure you place the towers on the top tier not so close to the edge...mine were very top heavy, especially the large one.
I spent a lot of time putting everything together. Was VERY time consuming BUT so well worth my lil girls face when she saw it!
Mine is in my photos if you'd like to take a look...
Good luck, have fun and most of all be patient with it...it's really not as easy as it looks (at least for me), and the directions in my opinion suck!