Smashed Cake!

Decorating By mamafox Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 12:42pm by foxymomma521

mamafox Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! I made a cake for someones bunco party. They wanted two cakes that look like dice (easy enough, so I though). I thought with the left over cake I would make three dice since you play with three in bunco. I cut 5 inch squares and did four layers of cake. When I went to frost the frosting would not stick to the cut side of cake. Then the cake was too soft so the third cake just crumbled!!! I did this all after a long day of work and was up until 2am icon_cry.gif The third cake unfortunely did not survive. Since i was suprising her with it i ended up completely smashing with my hands!!! I have to say it felt amazing! What a stress reliever! What a mess though, hee hee! Any way what kind of cake do I need to make that will hold up to carving? I just used a box (bad idea). Do u suggest freezing it first! They all loved and now someone else wants one! I just need some advice on making it a bit easier. Thank you all so much for any advice. Lori

4 replies
pastryjen Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 5

Oh no! Glad you got out your frustrations by smashing it all!

You may get very different answers here but this is what I would've done.

Cake - 2 layer cake mix, 4 eggs, 1 box pudding mix, 1 cup water, 1/3 cup oil. Mix and bake.

Carve cake. Thin crusting bc to the consistency of condensed cream soup and apply to cake smoothly but doesn't have to be perfect. I would chill until crusted then apply normal consistency BC. Then use the viva paper towel method to smooth.

Good luck with the second try.

HTH

Deb_ Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 5

You can also apply the BC with the large icing tip and bag method. Yes freezing the cakes first would also help.

Durjohnson Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 5

Hello,

How I have tried freezing for two days and it wasn't very sucessfull. Would you suggest longer.

Many thanks for your help!

foxymomma521 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 5

Generally any cake extender containing sour cream will make your cake dense enough to hold up to carving... I add 1 cup sour cream, 1 pkg pudding, 4 eggs, 1/2 c oil and 1/2 c water. Also, I've microwaved my BC to thin it, and then spread it on my cake... maybe try that if you don't have time to chill it first...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%