Having Trouble Decorating Sides Of The Cake

Decorating By sadi79 Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 10:43am by sulia

sadi79 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

My first post here. I hope someone can help me. I have trouble decorating sides of the cake. the top i can do easily. if the sides are left plain that I can do too... but if i wanna put sprinkles on the side my cake looks messy. I can't get a lot of them on there.. i hold the cake and tilt it a bit (it starts sliding off the plate pretty quick) Can anyone pls show me how to do this. I would appreciate it a lot. Thanks

5 replies
sadi79 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 6

helllo ....anyone help pls

chilz822 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 6

You really kinda have to 'pat' them on with your hand. If you shake them on, they don't get embedded enough to stick.

DianeLM Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 6

If you want a good coating of sprinkles on the side of the cake, you'll need to start with A LOT of sprinkles.

First, make sure your cake is secured to it's board with icing. If you plan to put the cake on a plate, you'd best put it on a board the same size as the cake FIRST, then place the whole thing onto a plate when you're done with the sprinkles.

Your icing needs to be sticky. If you use a crusting buttercream and it starts to crust over before you get the sprinkles on, lightly mist it with water, then blot off the excess with a paper towel. You don't want the cake too wet otherwise the sprinkles will smear and run.

Over a large bowl of sprinkles, rest the cake in the palm of one hand. Take the other hand and press handfuls of sprinkles onto the cake, allowing the excess to fall back into the bowl. Turn the cake and continue in this way until the sides are covered. You may have to turn the cake a couple of times before you get the coverage you want.

Try not to get icing in your bowl of sprinkles so that you can use them again later.

Good luck!

sadi79 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 10:17am
post #5 of 6

thank you ladies. I am going to try the way you guys described. Thank you very much.

sulia Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 10:43am
post #6 of 6

hi sadi

try this method - first ice the sides of your cake only with buttercream..
then spread a generous amount of sprinkles on a large plate or parchment paper.
then hold the cake with the palm of both your hands - one hand on the top and one on the bottom and then roll the cake (like a wheel) onto your sprinkles - the sprinkles stick easily to the cake this way and its less messy. then simply place your cake on the board and ice top as normal.
i use this method to stick crushed nuts, grated chocolate, shredded coconut etc. onto the sides iof cakes

hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%