Making Large Cakes

Decorating By Suewillo Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 3:40am by Suewillo

Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 6

Was wondering if anyone would have some idea's for doing large cakes. When I do large cake I have problems getting the layers together without craking. I find it hard to lift them and put them together. I have put them on something to slide them off but they seem to stick and it's really hard to do this on your own. Any idea's or tips that would help me with my next 12 x 18 can would be really appreciated. I don't always have my husband home to help me.
Thanks Sue

5 replies
saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 6

I (try to remember to) put powdered sugar on the rimless cookie sheet when I am using that to lift cakes. When I do remember to use it, the cakes do not stick as bad.

HTH

Sheryl

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 6

I like to give my large layers a good chill before handling. Not frozen solid - only about 30-45 minutes in the freezer to firm up the outside of the cake.

I've also seen this tip - which I don't know if I'm crazy about: Cut the top layer in half, place each half on the filling, pushing the two halves together.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 6

Cakes that are partially frozen can be handled easily ... you can lift and place themt even without putting them on a cardboard or a cookie sheet.

If they are completely thawed, treat the pan/cardboard as mentioned above. Then line the edge of the top cake with the edge of the bottom cake. As you pull the board/pan out from under the top layer of cake, it will fall right into place ... 9 times out of 10, you won't even have to adjust it at all.

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 6

I use a thin, flexible cutting "board" to slide the layer on - even works when torting layers.

Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:40am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone for the great tips. I just wish that they gave classes on doing large cakes. I seem to be doing alot of them for large groups.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%