Tappitts

Decorating By sudsy Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 8:52pm by tracey1970

sudsy Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:31am
post #1 of 9

Does anyone use the Tappitts, I have the funky set that I really want to use, but they never seem to come out. I have used PS, corn startch to no avail. Any good ideas, or is there different kinds that are better than others. TIA. What is the best medium to make them from Gumpaste, fondant, etc.

8 replies
xstitcher Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:41am
post #2 of 9

Hi,

I haven't actually used them but I have seen Aine2's video showing you how to use it. Maybe it will help you. Here's the link:

http://technorati.com/videos/youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DcyS7msb13jE

HTH

milissasmom Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:47am
post #3 of 9

I use tappits all the time and love them!!!!!!!!! I have the Funky ones too. I use 50/50 fondant mixed with gumpaste equally or fondat with Tylose because in my experience, if I used gumpaste only it would dry out too fast for me. I roll it out thin, let it sit for 15 minutes or so, dust my tappits with cornstarch, use the cutter (being sure to move it around a bit so I get a clean cut), tap it and my shapes come out perfect every single time. You MUST roll your gumpaste thin or it will never work. Good luck! I am sure others will chime in as well with what works best for them.

ladyonzlake Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:52am
post #4 of 9

Yes, I use them and love them! I mix tylose into my fondant. I use my KA pasta attachment and roll my fondant/gumpaste to dial 4 or 5. Press your tappit into the gumpaste and then smack it on the counter. Then I let them rest a couple of minutes to dry and using my spatulua pick it up and place it on my cake.

milissasmom Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:57am
post #5 of 9

Just watched the tutorial posted by xstitcher, that's pretty much the same thing I do only she doesn't let her fondant sit before cutting. it's a great guide! Good luck...

sudsy Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:57am
post #6 of 9

Thank you all. I think I must have not been rolling my gumpaste/fondant out thin enough and did not let it sit for a while. Will try again tomorrow. THanks, Thanks, THanks.

rvanok Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:58am
post #7 of 9

I probably have every set they've made, I love them! I only use firm gumpaste, and roll it very thin (#7 on my pasta machine). I don't ever need to use anything on the cutters to help release the paste, but I do use a corsage pin to pick something out from time to time. I also let the letters sit for a few minutes after tapping them out because they hold their shape better if they are dry.

tracey1970 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 9

Edna - who's on here - also does a very informative youtube video about how to use these. I believe she goes by tonedna on both CC and youtube. I just got my letter sets today. I ordered them from the originating company in the UK. They were reasonably priced, had all the styles in stock (which many other suppliers don't) including the new lower case funky letters, shipping was reasonable, and they got here in less than a week in perfect condition. I would definitely recommend them. I can't wait to try them!

tracey1970 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 8:52pm
post #9 of 9

Here's a link to Edna's video. I hope it works! icon_wink.gif

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=IfuxL2PqoVA&feature=channel_page

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%