All Black Fondant

Decorating By Leetzie Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 4:13am by bakedit

Leetzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leetzie Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:25am
post #1 of 6

If I need all black fondant to cover a cake what is the best way to do it? I make my own MMF and know how tiring it can be to get it all black. Would it be best to order black fondant (if so what is the best as far as flavor and where do I order it from) or should I make white fondant and airbrush it? Sorry about all the questions. I'm just trying to find the best way to do it that won't take me forever and wear me out!

Thanks,

Lisa

5 replies
cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 7:11am
post #2 of 6

You can make the MMF chocolate first and then add black. You achieve a nice black without all the coloring. Just add about 1/4 c cocoa. Or more for a richer flavor. Hope this helps. If you are looking for a store bought fondant I here Satin Ice is good. I haven never tried though.....I am a MMF gal! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 6

Buy the SatinIce. You'll thank yourself later. Best prices are from www. f o n d a n t s o u r c e .com

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 6

I have to agree with Leah. I have made it before and vowed to never make it again. The consistency, texture...everything was off for my black fondant. I used it but was not completely happy with the results.

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 6

I used to make MMF then I switched to Michele Foster's Fondant from the recipes section. There are posts on how to make it chocolate. I use dutch chocolate, which is darker and eliminate a bit of the pow. sugar. It worked great. I would do that to achieve a dark enough brown-black color and then airbrush if it's not exactly black.

bakedit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedit Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 4:13am
post #6 of 6

I made a black wedding cake many years ago and swore never again. It took 2 jars of black paste and about 2 hrs to knead it through so that it was a consistant colour (no marbling) and it still had a blue/green tint to it.
Now days i dont bother colouring cake fondant. I just cover the cake and let it dry and then just paint the colour on with an airbrush. The colour is more true and it saves so much time and energy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%