Childhood Memory... Could This Have Been Imbc Or Smbc?

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 6:02pm by chilz822

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:47am
post #1 of 8

As a child, many moons ago, I remember my aunt taking Wilton courses. She used to make this cake that I remmeber being in love with.

It was a pecan cake with some sort of white frosting and coated in chopped pecans. I'm wondering if it could have been one of the MBC's. As I remember, it was snow white, very light with a texture that reminded me of fluffy marshmallow cream. I remember it tasing like a cross between meringue and divinity but you could almost 'feel' the sugar crystals. I remember the kitched aid with the big whisk attachment...

Could it have been one of the MBC's? I've never made it but from what I'm reading I almost believe it was.. or the 7-minute frosting.

Any thoughts?

7 replies
Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:49am
post #2 of 8

Kind of sounds like 7-minute frosting to me....sounds delicious!

klutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutz Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:55am
post #3 of 8

i've never tried, but have looked at a couple of boiled icing recipes in some cook books. Somewhere we have a family recipe for a boiled fluffy white icing. I can check on it monday if you like

chilz822 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:57am
post #4 of 8

klutz, that'd be great... this cake is something I hadn't thought of in years and years, this site and sparked the memory, now I'm wanting it!
icon_lol.gif

Susie53, the 7-minute was my first thought when I read the recipie, but wasn't super-sure.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:29am
post #5 of 8

I agree, it sounds like a 7-minute. I love IMBC, it is light and yummy, but not really "fluffy" and totally did not come to mind (mouth) when I read your description. Did you ever figure it out?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 8

Did it have pineapple in it? That sounds like Hummingbird cake, but you usually do that with a cream cheese frosting that's been whipped until it's fluffy. That could be what it was.

What you're describing does sound like a boiled frosting, though, People usually don't do the sugar right in those so you can still feel the crystals in it icon_lol.gif

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 8

Yes - sounds like 7 minute. (which never takes me 7 minutes lol)

I love it with dark chocolate cake. Yum - it is only 8:am but I am craving this cake with my coffee!

chilz822 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 8

I haven't tried it yet, but aftre more reading and the replies from you all, I've come to the 7-minute conclusion too. It's definately on my short-list of things to try very very soon (after I get caught up).

Thank you all so much for your imput!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%