Wasc Question- What Happens If?

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 25 Jan 2009 , 2:24pm by Pebbles1727

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:24am
post #1 of 5

What happens if I am to make WASC with

1. full eggs instead of just egg whites? Will the texture change or just the color?

2. egg whites out of carton, instead of fresh?

Anyone have tried any of the above? I got the request for WASC cake and just trying to make it a little more cost effective since I don't charge yet. Thanks a bunch, P

4 replies
onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:32am
post #2 of 5

I've done #2 and it was fine and it says on the carton that it was equal to 8 egg whites. Not sure about #1--might be yellow cake??--haven't tried. Good Luck!

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:40am
post #3 of 5

It's possible to just use whole eggs but you need to cut down on the number. To me the cake isn't as "fluffy and light". So I just suck it up and use the egg whites. The yolks are then cooked and fed to our dog. Makes his coat all nice and shiny.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:28am
post #4 of 5

Here's Rebecca Sutterby's recipe for WASC w/variations:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

As you will see, you can replace 4 (icon_cool.gif egg white with 3 (6) whole eggs if you wish (depending on whether you're make 1/2 (1 cake mix) or whole (2 cake mix) recipe.

If using DH white cake mix and whole eggs, the resulting cake will be similar to a DH French vanilla cake.

Haven't used cartoned egg whites so I can address that....

kakeladi's original (no fat) WASC can also be made using whole eggs:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-599677-.html

The only difference between the two versions is the use of oil (one recipe uses it, one doesn't).

HTH

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks you all. I was concerned that the texture will change. I've been using RS's recipe upto this point, but cakelady's looks a little more cost effective. JanH, have you made both recipes before? Which one do you like better?
Thanks, P

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%