White Almond Sour Cream Cake....omg!

Decorating By karenm0712 Updated 9 Mar 2007 , 2:21am by jamiesue

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 177

I am in heaven! I just made a couple of cupcakes with the extra batter that I had and I just ate one....OMG, OMG....this is the best darn cake! I can't even imagine what it would tast like with a raspberry filling.

Sorry, I just had to share! icon_smile.gif I am going to go eat another one....so much for this watching what I eat promise.

176 replies
butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 177

Did you use the recipe on CC that calls for 2 cake mixes, flour, sugar etc? I've been meaning to try this one. What kind of frosting are you going to use?????

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 177

Gets even better with the raspberry filling! thumbs_up.gif I love it with a whipped cream/raspberry filling--to die for! I just got a recipe from Tastefully Simple for a raspberry mousse that I am dying to try with it. The recipe is just 12 oz. of coolwhip, 8 oz. of softened cream cheese and the Tastefully simple Raspberry Divine sauce (how ever much you want to add) and just whip it all together. It is soooooo yummy it would make a perfect filling!

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 177

And just where did you find this amazing recipe for this mouth watering cupcake?? icon_smile.gif

Missy,,, I have never seen the sauce before. Is it in the cold food section?

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 177

ccwkg, Tastefully Simple products are sold through reps and home parties (like Mary Kay). You can often find their products on eBay, though.

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 177

I love that recipe too! It's fantastic. : )

janicecold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janicecold Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 177

Where did you get the recipe for the cake mix. I would love to have it. Could you pm me the recipe for it. I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 177

Isn't it the best cake ever?!? I have also made the chocolate version and it turns out fabulous!!

icon_biggrin.gif

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 177

Thanks for the info Beckalita. No wonder I had never heard of it before. Sounds like something worth looking into though!

Cynda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynda Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 11:32pm
post #10 of 177

i want the recipe too icon_cry.gif

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 11:40pm
post #11 of 177

I want the recipe too!!! Another CC'er raved about it in a different post. Is it in CC's recipe file?

joby1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joby1 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 11:47pm
post #12 of 177

I just made it for the first time today and just used half the recipe. I could not stop eating it either....
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html

joby1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joby1 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 11:48pm
post #13 of 177

I meant to add: here is the link to the recipe...oops

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 12:28am
post #14 of 177

Here is the recipe that I used. I think that I was "googling" and found this but I am sure that the same recipe is on CC as well. icon_smile.gif

White Almond Wedding Cake
(also known as White Almond Sour Cream Cake)

2 (18 ounce) boxes white cake mix
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 2/3 cups water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons real vanilla
2 teaspoons almond extract
2 cups sour cream
8 large egg whites, room temperature

1. Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together with a wire whisk.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
3. Pour into greased and floured cake pans, filling each pan about half full.
4. Lightly tap cake pans on counter to bring air bubbles to top.
5. Cut through batter with a toothpick or tip of a knife to break large bubbles.
6. Bake in preheated 325° F oven until cake tests done.
7. Baking time varies according to the size and depth of pans being used.
8. I used Wilton's Bake Even Strips on my cake pans to ensure a level-topped cake which required absolutely no trimming-- I highly recommend these.
9. This recipe makes: One 14" round and one 6" round or One 16" round or One 12" round and one 10" round or One 12 X 18" sheet cake or One 12" round and one 8" round and one 6" round Two 9" squares.
10. Half the recipe makes: Two 8" rounds or Two 6" rounds and 6 cupcakes.
11. These cake size yeilds are approximate, and can vary widely according to the depth of the pans being used.
12. As a general rule, fill your pans about half-full of batter or use the number of cups of batter specified by the cake pan manufacturer.
13. For chocolate cake: use chocolate mixes and substitute 6 whole eggs for the egg whites.

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 1:12am
post #15 of 177

can NOT wait to try it!! NOw what's a good recipe for raspberry filling?? thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 1:19am
post #16 of 177

Do you HAVE to use a white cake mix or can you use a yellow cake mix? Or even the DH butter cake mix?

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 1:29am
post #17 of 177

This recipe is FANTASTIC with raspberry filling! It's my favorite.

I have not tried it with yellow cake, but I'm sure you could. The chocolate variation calls for 6 whole eggs instead of 8 egg whites - you could probably do the same thing with the yellow cake.

georgies_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgies_girl Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 5:50am
post #18 of 177

Try it with lemon curd filling and a lemon buttercream......it's verrrrrrry good!!

swillshaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swillshaz Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 10:23am
post #19 of 177

errr... can someone tell me what is white cake mix and yellow cake mix? I dont think I have seen it on the shelves here... and what can I use to substitute. The recipe sure sounds fab.

mommabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabear Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 4:29am
post #20 of 177

OMG you mean theres a chocolate version?? I LOVE this cake. Your house smells amazing when your making it and suddenly everyone comes out of the woodwork looking to catch a piece straight out of the oven. icon_lol.gif

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 4:41am
post #21 of 177

I have made this cake twice now - first time with chocolate cream cheese icing and filling. Yesterday with strawberry filling and whipped icing. Both times it was just delicious!! The cake comes out sooo moist. I'll definitely have to try the chocolate version - maybe with a cherry filling... hmmmmm

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 1:22pm
post #22 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by swillshaz

errr... can someone tell me what is white cake mix and yellow cake mix? I dont think I have seen it on the shelves here... and what can I use to substitute. The recipe sure sounds fab.

I believe that the reference is to the box cake mixes such as Duncan Hines or Pillsbury, Betty Crocker, etc. Where are you from?

STX44703 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STX44703 Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 4:29pm
post #23 of 177

ohhh that sounds soo good! Think I have to try it tonight!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 4:37pm
post #24 of 177

This recipe is FANTASTIC!! Everyone raves about it (making me look like a true cake hero!) icon_wink.gif I tweak it a tad more, but I like the variations I've heard here. Also, I did notice that when I bake it in Wilton pans, it browns considerably more, but when I bake it in MagicLine pans it gets a very light golden color rather than brown.

msmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmith Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 4:53pm
post #25 of 177

This is the cake recipe I use for my cakes. It is wonderful. I add a little apple pie spice to the chocolate recipe. It makes it a very unique cake. Wonderful with buttercream or whipped icing.

NoviceBaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoviceBaker2 Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 5:10pm
post #26 of 177

Sounds wonderful my grandfather's 80th birthday is next Tuesday and I was looking for a fabulous recipe for his special day. Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 5:16pm
post #27 of 177

I'm wondering what variations of this cake y'all have done -- I've heard using a yellow box mix with whole eggs (how many?) What other variations are there?

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 5:28pm
post #28 of 177

I use this also.. all variations are good. I have done it with all kinds of mixes also. There is a lemon variation and a strawberry one that I know of.. I am sure there is more I am not thinking of. Love it!

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 5:32pm
post #29 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnscakesAZ

I use this also.. all variations are good. I have done it with all kinds of mixes also. There is a lemon variation and a strawberry one that I know of.. I am sure there is more I am not thinking of. Love it!

Where can I access those versions??????

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 7:41pm
post #30 of 177

Ok the cupcakes I have to do for tomorrow are going to be my experiment batch This recipe sounds so AWESOME. I can't wait to try it. Off to the store I go to get sour cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%