White Almond Sour Cream Cake....omg!

Decorating By karenm0712 Updated 9 Mar 2007 , 2:21am by jamiesue

kats0916 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kats0916 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:41pm
post #61 of 177

I tried this cake last wek and I really do like it! I used pure vanilla extract though; it will not change the color of the cake, but tastes soooo much better, and just a little almond extract. It tasted alomst like angel food cake! I call it Angel Food cake with all the guilt!

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:43pm
post #62 of 177

I'm thinking of trying the lemon version with the raspberry mousse listed earlier, Now I normally frost my cakes with IMBC, do you all think this would go well (taste wise) with the lemon/raspberry combo???

aminium Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminium Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:44pm
post #63 of 177

I tried the recipe last night. Very easy to make and they did aste very good. I used pure vanilla as well and had no problem with the color. It does kind of remind you of angel food cake, the texture is great!

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 5:59pm
post #64 of 177

You all have me very curious and drooling from the mouth about this cake. Can't wait to try it. I have a girl scout cake auction Feb. 12th and like to do different things. This years theme is "use your imagination".
I can't wait.

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:59am
post #65 of 177

I had Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge mix in the house so I tried it with that. I followed the directions for the wasc, I didn't know there were variations on it icon_redface.gif It was so good!!! I had some buttercream in the freezer and mixed in some cocoa and raspberry preserves, they were gone in minutes. I will definitely be making this again.

Destini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destini Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 9:25pm
post #66 of 177

I'm making this cake tomorrow. I just have one question... What the heck are you guys doing with all the yolks?!

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 9:28pm
post #67 of 177

When I did mine I just did the 6 whole eggs and it still looked white. So I don't know your answer

Destini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destini Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 9:36pm
post #68 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaychristensen

When I did mine I just did the 6 whole eggs and it still looked white. So I don't know your answer

I think I'll try it that way. icon_smile.gif

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 11:05pm
post #69 of 177

okay guys...i need a little help. i have been going over this post over and over and am trying to figure out how to make this cake with yellow cake mix. how many eggs? i hope someone can help..... my step daughter is turning 7 this weekend and i would love to try it.
thanks!

kaychristensen Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 12:03am
post #70 of 177

If you are using just the half recipe with one cake mix. It is 3 whole eggs. I hope this helps.

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:41am
post #71 of 177

thanks so much! thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 3:26am
post #72 of 177

Houston we have a problem: I've made the WASC cake three times now. The first time it came out great, moist and delicious. The second and third times it came out dry. Has anyone added pudding to the mix? If so, how did it affect the final result?

CakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBaker Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 2:42pm
post #73 of 177

Glad to see ya'll like my recipe. Back about 5 or 6 years ago, I tried out a boatload of cake recipes one Summer trying to find a great white cake recipe. Some where scratch, others were doctored mixes. What I was looking for was a recipe that had nice flavor, that I could bake with consistent results every time, and wasn't insanely difficult to get in the oven. At the time, I didn't even own a stand mixer and I just wasn't going to stand there whipping enough egg whites to make 350 servings of white cake in one day. Anyhow, the result was me combining ingredients & instructions from a couple different recipes to create the WASC.

For the lemon version, I'd stay away from Lemon mixes. Instead, sub 1 cup lemon juice for part of the water, and use a good lemon extract and zest.

The almond extract can very easily be left out without adding extra vanilla. And I always use real vanilla, too. Leftover yolks -- I just toss 'em -- 'cause what are you going to do with 12 dozen egg yolks?!

Happy baking,
Rebecca Sutterby

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 5:25pm
post #74 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeBaker

Leftover yolks -- I just toss 'em -- 'cause what are you going to do with 12 dozen egg yolks?!

Happy baking,
Rebecca Sutterby

Ummm....make pastry cream? Ice cream? Lemon curd? mousse? german chocolate cake frosting? Key lime Pie? I could go on icon_lol.gif

Stop tossing them - freeze 'em and send them to me!

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 5:31pm
post #75 of 177

I just have to tell you all that I am making this cake AGAIN today! icon_smile.gif I have been craving it all week!!! Thanks CakeBaker for this WONDERFUL recipe!!!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 9:48pm
post #76 of 177

But how does it work with a pudding added into the mix? Has anyone tried that?

sweetamber Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 9:58pm
post #77 of 177

Why do you need to add pudding?
(Hi Bob!)

bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 10:00pm
post #78 of 177

Hi Amber! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

I made the white almond sour cream cake three times and the last two times they were very dry, first time was delicious. I used the DH moist deluxe and everything. I'm just wondering if the pudding would ruin the integrity of the recipe.

sweetamber Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 10:05pm
post #79 of 177

I heard from a little bird that DH changed their formula, maybe that's the problem....I'm not experienced with boxed mix though so I am no expert. Try it with another brand!

mitsel8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitsel8 Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 1:02am
post #80 of 177

That explains it! I used a DH mix and the cake was not that great. I'll have to try Betty crocker or Pillsbury. Thanks CakeBaker.

kaychristensen Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 1:20am
post #81 of 177

I used it with 3 different flavors of BC with no problem. And they taste Heavenly OK now I am craving it again. Going to have to try a new flavor tonight now icon_lol.gif

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 1:37am
post #82 of 177

if BOB just made all of these cakes, then this is not the reason for her problem--good luck BOB.

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 1:57am
post #83 of 177

I just made this cake and added 3 really ripe bananas and used whole eggs ....WOW...yum. icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 3:11am
post #84 of 177

Thank you Tara. icon_wink.gif

kaychristensen Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 5:00am
post #85 of 177

WOW My last post sounded weird when I reread it I meant Betty Crocker not Buttercream icon_redface.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 5:05am
post #86 of 177

I just want to tell you that I made the Almond cake for the first time yesterday for a bride coming in for a taste test. I got the order.

That cake is out of this world - thank you so much for sharing the recipe.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 1:58pm
post #87 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

I just want to tell you that I made the Almond cake for the first time yesterday for a bride coming in for a taste test. I got the order.

That cake is out of this world - thank you so much for sharing the recipe.

If you don't mind my asking, what cake mix did you use? Thanks much!!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 7:02pm
post #88 of 177

I only use Duncan Hines

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 7:14pm
post #89 of 177

Thanks for the post. My computer crashe ans I had lost this recipe.

cesi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cesi Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 7:30pm
post #90 of 177

i made this this weekend..and i used the lorann almond oil and i think i used too much because it tasted awful..i made the choc version as well and it tasted really good except i didnt put any almond in it..next time i'll make sure i only put about 1/4 tsp of the oil in it and hopefully it will be much better

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%