Teaching Cake Decorating...

Decorating By abclark Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 1:25am by kakeladi

abclark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abclark Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 2:11am
post #1 of 8

Hi my church asked me to come in and teach a hour and half class on cake decorating. I am a little overwhelmed with what I should be teaching. They mentioned teaching fondant but I only have $30 budget.

What would be the top 3 things you would teach?

Thanks

7 replies
MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 2:16am
post #2 of 8

Three things?

How to smooth
How to make a rose or other flower
How to use a pastry bag

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 2:17am
post #3 of 8

1. how to make buttercream
2. shell border
3. drop flowers

simple techniques, but combined you can still create a nice cake

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:06am
post #4 of 8

Wow. Are you able to find out the skill level of the people taking your class? You don't want to talk too much about stuff they already know. I know I was slightly frustrated when we spent 15 minutes in my Wilton 1 class talking about piping bags.

Icing consistency
smooth (and level) cake
rose
simple border

Ok, thats more than 3.

If you have a bunch of people though that already know a lot of those basics it could be more fun to do some other stuff. How about a piping gel transfer or covering a cake in fondant or how to make a pretty cake board?

That sounds like a fun class to be able to take at church, no matter what you decide to teach. If my church offered something like that I would totally go! Good luck and have fun with whatever you decide to do.

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:11am
post #5 of 8

I meant to ask, is your $30 supposed to cover your supplies or supplies for the whole class?

I normally make the cake extender recipe, but for simplicity purposes you wouldn't have to go hog wild, it's a class about decorating. A simple 98 cent box mix will be fine. MMF is cheap enough to make too. (as is buttercream) That brings you WAY under your budget. Even if that $ needs to stretch to the students you could make it work. I think. icon_smile.gif

Anyway, good luck (again) icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 12:29pm
post #6 of 8

as long as u announce what kind of things you will teach, people should know what they are getting, so people who can do that already wont turn up.
my friends one did a class where you brought your iced cake, they taught us to do penguin and angel figures. maybe you could do something like that instead? if alot of people have kids, something like a monkey, car or child figure might be cool. or a wire and fondant topper?
think of all the things you learnt as you went along - do you prefer crisco or cornflour/ ps, thickness of fondant, what kind of BC to use, where to find good supplies.
i dont know how much eqiupment you have - you would need to find things you/ others already have to use during the class. (are they trying stuff out themselves, or is it more like a demo?)
xx

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 8

if I was to teach a one-time, short fondant class, this is what I would cover:

-demo how to prep, cover and smooth a fondant cake
-an easy border or 2
-a fondant (no cutter)rose and leaf
-a simple bow

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:25am
post #8 of 8

That's not a lot of time and you will have all different skill levels maning it hard on you icon_sad.gif
Why not come up w/some quick, cute ways to embellish cakes? Like using cookie cutters to make fondant cutouts; using a stencil (even a paper doily) to put a design on an iced cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%