My Fondant Is Dry!

Decorating By I_Can Updated 25 Jan 2009 , 11:42pm by I_Can

I_Can Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
I_Can Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 1:39am
post #1 of 5

So, I'm new to fondant. This is my second time making it and I notice towards the end of the porcess my fondant became very dry and had no elasticity. This confused me because the only other time I've made it I didn't use all the sugar and my fondant seem to come out ok. I made figures with it initially but I had to add more sugar to the fondant in order to cover my cake because eventually it became sticky. I'm taking a deco. class and my teacher advise us to use a MMF but she didn't supply a recipe. I've been using a MMF recipe off of this site. To my knowledge I did everyhing as asked and can't understand why it's sooo dry. Is there something I can do to fix it? What could I have possibly done wrong?

4 replies
schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:26am
post #2 of 5

Well, I'm not a pro, but I have made my fair share of MMF. How are you measuring your sugar? Are you going by cup or by weight? If you are measuring by cup remember never to scoop. Always use something else (I use a TBSP) to scoop the sugar from bag to the cup. You don't want it packed in there.

If thats not the problem you can try adding a few drops of additional water. Drops, not teaspoons. Or you could pop the fondant back in the microwave for a few seconds.

I always grease my hands and working surface with crisco before I start. And really work the fondant. You should kneed it for a few minutes after all of your sugar has been added.

The MMF recipe I use came from the Wilton Discussion Forums.

If I remember correctly, a large batch (which is massive!) needs

16oz marshmallows
2TBSP water

put in lg bowl and microwave. I usually put it in for 1 minute and watch it. When it starts puffing up it's done. Give it a good mix.

Then I dump it into my KA (w/ dough hook att.)

Add (not all at once) 2lbs powdered sugar. Mix like crazy.

Then I lightly grease my hands and finish kneeding it myself.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:19am
post #3 of 5

Since I don't use MMF I don't know if this will work, but my suggestion is to knead in a very small amount of glycerin. This helps with just about any fondant and/or gumpaste. It will probably be easier to knead into your fondant if you warm it as schnumvf suggested.

Good luck.

Michele

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:29am
post #4 of 5

A couple of teaspoons of white corn syrup added to the recipe if not already in it will help with the elasticity. If it is, try working in some crisco a bit at a time, this will help too.

I_Can Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
I_Can Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks! I think I'm going to warm it up and then add a little glycerin. I hope that works. I still can't figure it out though. I used Rhonda's MMF and somehow I messed it up. O well, You live and learn! I think for now on I'm going to just buy my fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%