Fondant Ontop Of Bc Question....

Decorating By cakesbyjen Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 12:42am by ladyonzlake

cakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjen Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 1:20am
post #1 of 13

so, i've done cakes before where people want it iced in BC, but i've found that it makes the fondant look greasey, around the edges and all.... but i'm wondering if there is a way around this? i like the crispness of using fondant on BC but i hate how sloppy it looks....

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 2:56am
post #2 of 13

Not sure what you mean by "greasy". What is the fat/sugar ratio in your BC .... how 'greasy' is the icing to start with? I'm a fondant newbie, but haven't run into this greasy effect.

cakesbyjen Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:59am
post #3 of 13

i don't know what the ratio is/was because it was at a bakery i worked for and i didn't do much of the bc mixing...

but "greasy" meaning where the fondant was touching the bc it looked "wet", where the middle of the fondant looked the normal dry color and everything...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:03am
post #4 of 13

Well, I'm useless as far as coming up with an answer, but I'm hanging around to see what others might say .... if I ever run into this, I want to know what causes it and how to fix it.

We may be waiting awhile ... the big party gathering is in the Officially Embarrassed thread right now! icon_lol.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:19am
post #5 of 13

Hmm, that's strange. I do fondant accents on BC all of the time and I've never had it look greasy on the edges. Are you sure you're not touching it with BC fingers when applying it?

cakesbyjen Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 6:32am
post #6 of 13

i don't believe i was... but it's not entire impossible that it didn't happen, i just remember the fondant looking that way and wondering... and i haven't done it since so now that i know nobody else is having this problem i'll feel free to attempt again... lol

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 6:44am
post #7 of 13

I use IMBC and have never had that problem, but I dont understand why you would with standard BC. Is the fondant thick enough? Are you using PS or cornstarch on your hands and smoother?

HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 6:58am
post #8 of 13

I myself HAVE had that problem I think I figured out what it is. It also happened to me when I used Whipped topping as well.

Its the moisture in the icing.

I started waiting until a few hours before I delivered the cake to put the fondant accents on. The moisture seems to disintegrated the sugar in the fondant causing it to have a slimy/greasy yet melted effect to the edges.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 7:05am
post #9 of 13

I use fondant accents on BC all the time and have never had that happen.. I just did a black and white cake Thursday Ill have to go check my picture closer to see.. Hum... I wonder if your fingers were wet. or did you "glue" them on with water and too much water got on the top edges? because water will make the fondant shiney or splotchey.. sp?
If I were you Id give it another try.. Ill bet you will do fine..

HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 13

Let me add I put the accents on and then stuck it in the frig over night. This is when that effect starting happening to me.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 13

Hipnotiq.. yours may seem 'wet' on the edges because you put the cake in the fridge. Fondant can bleed due to the condensation that occurs when it's refrigerated.. which is why people some people say "you can't refrigerate a fondant cake."

HTH.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 8:06pm
post #12 of 13

I'm surprised that's happening -- I do fondant cakes all the time with both buttercream and royal icing piping and have not had this issue. I also refrigerate my fondant cakes which contrary to popular belief does NOT hurt them in any way. People have issues with fondant refrigeration because after the cake is pulled out of the frig and placed on the counter, DON'T TOUCH IT until it has come fully to room temperature (usually a few hours.) The condensation that occurs out of the refrigerator as it comes to room temperature soaks back into the fondant as well as the "grease" from the buttercream crumb coat underneath soak into the fondant making it pliable again. If you touch the fondant while the condensation is still on the surface of the fondant, it WILL leave a fingerprint that you won't be able to remove. (Y'all following me?)

But as for the greasy stain issue, I'm at a loss because I have not had this problem. Sorry I couldn't be more help... icon_rolleyes.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 12:42am
post #13 of 13

Yep, I refrigerat ALL of my cake...BC, Fondant, BC with fondant accents. Haven't had an issue yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%