...make A Fondant Plaque

Decorating By tracey1970 Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 9:53pm by Wildkatzcakes

tracey1970 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 12:06am
post #1 of 9

I just did a search for fondant plaques and got some pics of what I am looking for but no info under Articles or Forums about how to do this.

I did notice there were a few different things that classified as a fondant plaque. I am not looking to make a fondant shape on which I paint or use BC or royal icing to draw. I would like to make a picture out of fondant, layered to look somewhat 3D although still lying flat on top of a cake - there's a Transformers pic in the gallery using this technique.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1208504.html

I presume you start with a basic shape, layer fondant pieces as required (and texture them if necessary), and then finish off with royal icing or BC outlining for definition? How do I do this, and do you have any tips/advice?

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
tracey1970 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 9

Sorry, I had to bump this. Everyone's been so busy with the "Officially Embarassed" thread that I'm hoping someone out there can help me. I chose the WRONG night to post this help request, didn't I?

kakeladi Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:14am
post #3 of 9

So sorry you didn't get any help on this. Yes, your idea is on the right track. I really can't help any more than that. I have seen a gal who does this w/ColorFlow. I just don't have the eye to 'see' the different layers to make.

tracey1970 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 2:35am
post #4 of 9

Thanks, kakeladi - I too have been caught up in the "Officially Embarassed" thread, so I can't really blame anyone else.

However, I think I have changed my mind to cut out the shape I want from fondant and then use gel icing colours (and pearl/lustre dust mixed with lemon extract) to actually "paint" the picture onto the fondant. I'd love to hear if anyone has tried that and whether they have any advice/warnings. The picture I want to do requires a fair bit of silver, which is where the lustre dust comes in, and would love any advice about doing silver painting on fondant.

Maybe I should start a separate thread about painting on fondant to get the attention of those who have done it because they may not click on "fondant plaque", thinking it's about something different. I'll see what I get to this one.

Thanks again!

LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 3:26am
post #5 of 9

Yes, I have cut out a cross out of fondant & used it as type of a plaque & colored it with gold pearl lustre. Might I suggest you use vodka to mix your pearl lustre with, as it gives the exact color with no extra scent or flavor.

LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 3:41am
post #6 of 9

Oh yeah, yes, I have seen people paint images on fondant plaques.

tracey1970 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks! That's my plan - if it works! Luckily, I have enough time to do a "trial" well before I need to actually do the "real" one. I can't wait to get it started!

LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 9

Doing a trial run is a good idea. May I also suggest you make more then one just in case of breakege. Good Luck!

Wildkatzcakes Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 9

I use just regular colored gel paste and a dry brush. Even if you dry the same brush off in between colors it works well. If you want to make a plaque, it's basic silk screening idea. Make several copies of the design you want, one for each color and a couple extra in case. Start with the whole design cut out of one color, then using a copy of the original design cut out the area of the next color you want to add, use it as a pattern to cut out the fondant and place on the first piece you cut out. It's a layering process of sort. In the art world we call it an addition sculpture icon_biggrin.gif..I hope that helps..although I am afraid I may have just confused more icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%