Vertical Chocolate?

Decorating By Ayanami Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 7:13pm by LisaR64

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 17

I am making a kick a$$ cake for my FIL B-day party this Saturday but I'm not sure how to go about something.

Let me describe my cake plans first. I am making a 3 tier stacked cake, 12" Square base, 10" square middle & 8" square top. I am putting a "50" monogram on the top. The base cake will be a western theme, the second cake is going to be Kansas City Cheifs football & the top tier is Marines. (all of his favs) icon_smile.gif

So heres where I've hit a stump.

I have made some candy mold stars & Marine EGA's to decorate the top tier with, but I am not sure how to attach these to the sides of the cake. The decos have to be on the vertical sides since the tops will be unavailable. I am not covering the cakes w/ MMF (cause FIL doen's like it) so it will just be covered w/ Indydebi's BC recipe.

TIA

16 replies
Ayanami Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:33am
post #2 of 17

gotta bump myself b/c everyone (including moi) is so absorbed in "Officially Embarassed" that I haven't gotten a response. At least I hope that's the reason no one has responded? icon_sad.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:41am
post #3 of 17

toothpicks?

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:43am
post #4 of 17

From what I can tell, you should just be able to adhere them to the buttercream. I add fondant details to buttercream all the time. If you want them to stick out then put them on some wire and stick them into the cake. I hope I have helped. Good Luck! Make sure you post a pic!!!

Ayanami Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:53am
post #5 of 17

My biggest concern is the weight of these chocolates. They are about 1.5 to 2.5" in diameter & the big EGA is about 6"tall. I did not ake that one solid though, it is sorta hollow.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:58am
post #6 of 17

Here's a pic of a cake where I made chocolate shamrocks and attached them to the side of the cake with a blop of BC on the back of them: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1179060

I understand that your piece are a bit bigger, but I'm going to guess that if you just use more BC as glue, they will hold up fine.

The cake sounds fabulous!! Give me a nudge when you post the pic ... I really want to see this one! thumbs_up.gif

Ayanami Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:04am
post #7 of 17

Do you think RI would be any better than just BC?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:08am
post #8 of 17

I never use RI for anything, so I'm not any help with that one.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:24am
post #9 of 17

I'd just use some BC to glue it on... Perhaps with some added wires like a PP mentioned, or maybe adding a small piece of chocolate to stick off the back of the chocolate piece and into the cake/icing.

I'm sure it'll work out great!

l_m_mena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_m_mena Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:28am
post #10 of 17

I have used (on different occasions) BC and also melted chocolate to adhere chocolate shapes to cakes. They both worked well. If they are too large/heavy maybe I would consider placing them supported by the tier and glued with BC or melted choc (sort of leaned into the sides, but their weight suported by the floor/horizontal part of the tier, does it make sense?)

Good luck!!

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:29am
post #11 of 17

BTW, Ayanami, I find your "avatar" perfectly ironic... icon_lol.gif

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:30am
post #12 of 17

RI wouldnt work at all. The fat in the BC will break down the RI. I suggest using BC. Maybe with the bigger on you can put it on the top of a tier for additional support.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 4:30am
post #13 of 17

I would say BC or maybe even piping gel. If they're really heavy, maybe using lollipop sticks.

HTH

Now back to "Officially Embarassed" where I'm on page 21 and there are now 64 pages to that thread!!

bakedit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedit Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 10:56am
post #14 of 17

When I put chocolate decs around a cake I always wrap them with a wide ribbon to hold them in place until just before it goes on display, then I just remove the ribbon again. If your cake is covered with 1/2 inch of BC it shouldnt be a problem. Hope this helps.

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 2:57pm
post #15 of 17

Hi Ayanami, If you look at my avatar you will see I made this cake with chocolate shells, which were quite heavy. Since I had the same problem you're having, I went to walmart and got me a small soldering iron. It cost $4.00 so i made holes with the hot tip in the back of the shells and placed toothpicks. Wait till they set and voila! I happened to also have been pressed for time this whole "burn a hole in the back" idea came to me as I was assembling the cake at the party hall. So I also picked up a can of dust off "the spray to dust keyboards", turn it upside down and spray the chocolate. Voila again instant setting. Hope this helps.

Sorry didn't notice I have not avatar. But look at the under the sea cake in my pics

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 3:00pm
post #16 of 17

........RI wouldnt work at all. The fat in the BC will break down the RI........

This is NOT true! Once RI is properly made it will not break down into a puddle icon_sad.gif It is in the making of RI that no grease can be involved.
I have a great recipe for air drying b'cream which basically is nothing more than RI w/a cup of Crisco added.

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:13pm
post #17 of 17

I too have used RI to attach things to buttercream icing many times, and I've never had a problem with the RI breaking down. Even after 3-4 days, the pieces remained "cemented" to the cake and it was actually hard to get them loose when the cake was cut.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%