Brownie Demo At Michaels Today

Decorating By shadowgypsie Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 3:53pm by cake-angel

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 14

To all WMI's who did todays brownie demo -Did you have much interest from the customers.

I was just curious, most of the customers that stopped by my demo table were not really impressed with the idea of decorating brownies.

13 replies
Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 12:57am
post #2 of 14

We are actually discussing it on our WMI group.

If you aren't a member of the yahoo group PM me and I'll get you the info to join. thumbs_up.gif

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 12:58am
post #3 of 14

I dropped by a brownie demo at Michael's today in the afternoon. Interesting ideas but why would I want to spend money on brownie supplies. I'd rather spend money on cake supplies and can use the same products when I decorate brownies.

Mom2LiamandQuinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2LiamandQuinn Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:13am
post #4 of 14

I had about 5 people stop and look, but only after I quit doing brownies and moved on. I had one woman take a flyer for Course 1, but then told me she couldn't actually come.

Sending a pm to join the yahoo group!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 8:02am
post #5 of 14

I had half a dozen people come sit down and watch. I did pretty little techniques on them, like roses, reverse shells, pearl borders, scrollwork, ruffles...I was pleasantly surprised by just how nice they did look, because ever since I heard that we had to do a brownie demo, I thought that was the dumbest thing on the planet. I used the demo to talk up the Wilton classes so it's all good. icon_smile.gif

The employees were super-excited about getting brownies for a change and argued over who got the ones with the roses. LOL

shadowgypsie Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 14

I Only used the tips that we were to use because they were in the brownie decorating kit. What a joke. The tips are too big for the size of the brownies if using the cutters or even that new petit four rubber pan.

My EC wanted me to only use what was on the Demo list so I did. My brownies looked like S_ _T!

Besides that Brownies don't really last in my house to get cold enough to decorate.

Cakepro Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 8:46pm
post #7 of 14

I had that little brownie decorating kit on the table to show people but couldn't for the life of me figure out why they had such big tips in it, which is why I used smaller ones. I wanted to sell cake classes, not brownie classes.

You won't have to worry about your EC telling you what you can and can't do in your future demos, though. The EC position has been eliminated, effective Feb. 21st.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 14

I stopped into michaels..saw the lady behind the demo counter but she was fiddling with something else. I walked over to the cake supply area and saw all the new stuff they had for the brownies. I too don't think i would waste my money just for brownies.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 9:00pm
post #9 of 14

I think demos are pointless to begin with. I hardly ever have anyone come up to me and talk about classes! They're usually too busy to see what I'm doing & just ask me where the yarn/picture frames/invitations are!

I had one girl take a coupon, and she said when she got enough money she'd think about taking a course icon_rolleyes.gif

I did NOT use that horrible "drizzle icing" that the EC wanted me to use. I brought my own stuff, thank goodness, because the brownies would've looked pathetic.

I was just happy when my watch read 3:00.

With the new "rules" I don't think I'll be teaching for much longer anyway (not even likely that I'll have enough to teach anyway!)

Sorry, probably more than you wanted to hear from me!

fafruia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fafruia Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 9:06pm
post #10 of 14

I guess decorating brownies for a special occasion that I was asked to bring a dessert for would be ok. But I certainly wouldn't buy specialty products just for brownies! On the days that I whip up a batch for my DH and 3 DD's, they don't even get time to cool so I can cut them! They get dug at with whatever nearby, convenient utensil it takes to get them into their greedy mouths the fastest!

Cakepro Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 9:24pm
post #11 of 14

LOL mom2spunkynbug - I hear ya about being the "information center" during demos. I did use the drizzle icing because you can make really pretty designs with it using a toothpick, but I tasted it and it's simply a chalky powdered sugar-water glaze. Rip-off!

I used a straight-up boxed brownie mix, and I noticed that the edges on the brownies started drying out pretty quickly one they were cut. The deep cutters were nice, but without icing the sides of the brownies too, they were just gonna be dried out. Yuck!

My family prefers them warm out of the oven too. Icing on brownies is so overkill, IMO.

shadowgypsie Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:06am
post #12 of 14

mom2spunkynbug,

I have to agree with you on the Demos. But I really don't have to worry about them that much because my store manager won't give me the hours to do demos. We have no Advertising anywhere in the store so people really don't know we have classes.

Cakepro I tasted the Icing and have to agree with you on the taste, YUK

truthfully brownies are better with the goodies in them than on them, like
The walnuts, marshmallows, and chocolate chips, they belong inside the brownies. Besides who wants cold brownies-Not Me.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:13am
post #13 of 14

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who gets asked about everything BUT classes from customers!

I think I'd turn my apron in if I had to do a class in the middle of the store! icon_cry.gif

I FINALLY had enough students to hold a class this month - 8 signed up, 4 showed up!

I did NOT taste that icing - the EC said there was a "make & take" event a few weeks ago. Well, she used the heart cutter and drizzle icing - DIDN'T BOTHER to clean it, so....yeah....no.

Do you guys have to share your demo table with the EC and whatever crafting thing they're doing with kids? It's really annoying to be trying to do a demo and have kids all over your area.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:53pm
post #14 of 14

I did the brownie demo. Where I am it was -30 degrees celcius and the automatic doors kept getting stuck open. I wore my winter coat the entire time and did my best to decorate the brownies. I agree that the tips in the brownie kit seem way too large and was glad I had brought a few smaller ones with me. I didn't taste the drizzle and tried to use it but I couldn't get it warm enough to drizzle. LOL. The only people who stopped by my table were people asking where the paint brushes, glue etc. were.
I am a new instructor and just taught my first class last Wednesday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%