Wasc Problems

Decorating By Peet Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 9:04pm by kakeladi

Peet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peet Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all,

I tried use a WASC recipe. Because I am in Holland, it is not easy to get the right ingredients. But I figure that a cakemix is a cakemix... Well, it did not rise at all. The taste was great but I could start building houses with this kind of cake...!

So, did I not mix long enough, the recipe called for 2 minutes (?) I do think the eggs need to be mixed separate and wiped to a good fluffy light mixture...

So, any tips are very welcome because I do love the taste!

Petra

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 2:11am
post #2 of 7

What size pan did you use? Maybe there wasn't enough batter for that size. 2 minutes should have been just right unless you mixed on low speed, but even then it should have been o.k. I think.
Have you ever had an American style cake? Do you know what it should be like? Was your cake heavy? That's usually what one would be if it did not rise. Since ingredients are so different from the US I am at a loss to help any more than this icon_sad.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 6:08am
post #3 of 7

Not all cake mixes are interchangeable 1:1.

Cake mixes in the U.S. average 18.25 oz. or 517 g.

The Duncan Hines white cake mix ingredients are:
sugar, enriched bleached wheat flour (flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), vegeable oil shortening (partially hydrogenated soybean oil, propylene glycol mono- and diesters of fats, mono- and diglycerides) wheat starch, leavening (sodium bicarbonate, sodium aluminum phosphate, dicalcium phosphate, monocalcium phosphate). Contains 2% or less of: modified cornstarch, dextrose, soy protein, whey, salt, polyglycerol esters of fatty acids, maltodextrin, sugar, natural and artificial flavor (milk) corn syrup solids, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, soy lecithin, guar gum, xanthan gum.

If you made a full recipe of WASC you would have needed 2 x the above in cake mixes.

12 Large eggs in the U.S. must weight 24 oz.
(Approximately 2 oz. each.)

How much did your eggs weigh?

AP (All Purpose) flour in the U.S. has a protein content between 9-12%.

What was the protein content of your flour.
(If it's higher and you beat at a high speed, the gluten developed and made your cake tough.)

Also mixing with an electric hand mixer on medium is very different from mixing with an electric stand mixer on medium.

When I make any of the WASC cake recipes, I sift all the dry ingredients together into a large bowl, and mix all the wet ingredients in a second larger bowl.

Then I add the dry to the wet and beat for 2 mins. using a hand mixer at medium speed.

If using a stand mixer, I would mix at the lowest speed for 2 mins. or less.

Most CC members bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit or 162.7 Celsius.

If you still have questions. Please enumerate everything you did exactly as you did it.

HTH

Peet Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 7:17am
post #4 of 7

JanH, thanks for listing the ingredients. I will have to dig my cakemix out of the paper waste container...!

I mixed (and sifted) the dry ingredients. I then put all the wet ingredients in a bowl. Add it to the dry ingredients. Mix with my KA for 2 minutes on a low speed. Fill the baking pans about half to 2/3, bake in a 200 F oven.

I think I made a mistake in the oven temp. COuld I have used a too high temp? I think I need to play with it a bit.

Petra

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 7

I have a niece in the UK and when she visits twice a year the one thing she brings back with her is Duncan Hines cake mix. She's lived there about 4 yrs and said this is the one thing she can't live without, she couldn't get used to the mixes the UK sells. I'm thinking this is your problem, I'm sorry this happened because WASC really is good.

Peet Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 7

JanH, you know, the recipe called for 200F but because it is a cake I still baked it at 160 C so I am pretty sure it was the temp.. Will give it another shot when the kids are in school and hubby is at work!

Petra

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 7

........Fill the baking pans about half to 2/3, bake in a 200 F oven. .....

The baking temp should be *300* degrees F, not 200. Not is not hot enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%