Fonddant Disaster!

Decorating By shal1234 Updated 25 Jan 2009 , 4:05pm by JenniferMI

shal1234 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 5

Help! I covered my first cake in fondant today and as I put the fondant over the cake it started getting stretch lines in it as it goes over the edge.
I thought it might be because i had rolled it too thin so for the top layer I rolled it thicker, but it did it again, it was almost like the wieght of the fondant was pulling it down the sides. Any ideas why this is happening?

4 replies
Leetzie Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 5

I put mine on one side and bring over the top to the other side. When you smooth the fondant you want to smooth it from the sides up because you don't want to stretch it. Is your fondant too dry? You want to be able to pull it and still have some elasticity. It shouldn't pull right apart. I just started using fondant a few months ago and have learned as I went. I hope I gave you the right info. Hopefully someone else can give you some more tips.

kakeladi Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 1:47am
post #3 of 5

It should be rolled to 1/4" thick which is the thickness of a cake circle board. It may be that your fondant was not kneaded enough.

mom2rascals Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 2:01am
post #4 of 5

1/4" thick?? I never would've guessed that thick. I have only used fondant twice, and I had the exact same thing happen! I was making an R2D2 cake (don't bother looking, he isn't there), and the fondant sagged. He looked like he had a flabby belly! Other than that he turned out great, but I've been too embarraced to download him . . . But I know for a fact that I rolled the fondant thinner than 1/4", perhaps that's where I went wrong!

Thanks kakeladi

JenniferMI Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 5

My chocolate fondant doesn't do that, that's why I love the product so much.

Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%