Royal Icing Poinsettias

Decorating By jamiecrouse Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 8:57pm by costumeczar

jamiecrouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiecrouse Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 8

I made (tried to make!) a Christmas cake with red poinsettias out of royal icing using the lily nail and they never hardened on the inside. When I tried to take them out of the foil they all fell apart. What should I have done to make them harden down in the center where they are not exposed to the air? I even tried to freeze them, which didn't help and might have made it worse. Any suggestions?

7 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 8

The best thing i have found is when the petals are hard and the rest isn't is either peal the foil off carefully and let the flower finish drying. Or turn the flower upside down and slit the foil so that the air can get to it.

The condensation from putting them in the freezer probably did make the problem worse. and for a future not you can pipe these flowers directly on the cake using buttercream.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:42am
post #3 of 8

How long did you let them dry? These flowers usually take several days to dry. A way to help the bottoms dry faster is to poke a few holes in the bottom with a corsage pin or tooth pick.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:01am
post #4 of 8

I made a Christmascake with pointsettas of buttercream (in my photos) and piped them right onto the cake the same way you would in the lilly nail. If you really want the height, you can pipe a but of buttercream under the petals. HTH

jamiecrouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiecrouse Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the suggestions. I let them dry about two days but maybe that wasn't long enough. I'll try poking holes in the bottom next time. They looked so beautiful in the foil that I really want to try them again some time.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 4:26am
post #6 of 8

You can also put them in the oven with just the light on to help dry them faster.

ShuggaNay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShuggaNay Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 8

You may even be able to put them in a food dehydrator... worth giving a try.. I use it for gumpaste & things that take 24hours take less than 3 hours to dry! Love that Dehydrator, LOL!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 8

I just made some poinsettias out of modelling chocolate today, maybe that would be something to try for next time you need them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%