How Do I Make A Continuous Trail Tiered Cake?

Decorating By mezzyc Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 9:02pm by jibbies

mezzyc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzyc Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 12

I would like to make a cake for my sister's shower that looks sort of like a trail going up and around a mountain. I think starting with a topsy-turvy cake and carving to make the trail. I just cannot vision how to do the cuts. My sister is not a fan of fondant so I am trying to avoid using it. I have done topsy-turvy following directions from this sight and love how it turned out. Im not looking forward to trying this with just buttercream though. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Cori

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 12

Really sorry no one has been able to help you. I really can't eithericon_sad.gif
My only suggestion is to stack the cakes so the back lines up completely & it's stair-step looking in the front.
The just draw a line up and start cuttingicon_smile.gif I know, not much help......sorry icon_sad.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 12

This might be what you are looking for.

Jibbies

mezzyc Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 12

Jibbies I can't see anything on your post!
Kakeladie, I might try your suggestion if it comes down to it but Im still holding out for the all around trail for now. I do have some time to figure it out, the showers not until April. I just keep lying awake in bed every night trying to create this cake in my head. I guess thats the problem when you only get to do a cake ever couple months, too much time to obsess. I would like to make some small fondant figures symbolizing parts of her life going around to the top where I will put something representing the wedding (bride and groom?).
Thanks for the help.
Cori

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 12

Do you mean like the cakes that have over the hill roads? Will your mountain show the tier differences or be one solid peak?

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzyc Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 12

nfgcake YES! Just like that. I have been searching the galleries trying to find one and just couldn't. Thank you. OK now how do I do it?

ngfcake Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 12

I have no idea! There are some guidelines in that thread . You could PM the designers and ask them.

mezzyc Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 12

You must have been editing while I was posting icon_biggrin.gif The king of the hill cake was just right. And the forum post was just what I needed. You are amazing. Thanks!

ngfcake Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 12

You're welcome icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 8:01pm
post #11 of 12

Let me just add that I have done one and it is not as hard as it looks or sounds. Once you start, you'll figure it out. If you have trouble you can pm me. Mine is the NASCAR cake in my gallery. My directions look difficult in that other thread, but it isn't that bad. Heck...I even drove with that thing assembled. icon_razz.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 9:02pm
post #12 of 12

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%