Suggestions????

Decorating By booberfrog Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 7:44pm by sjbeatty8

booberfrog Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:41am
post #1 of 12

Ok let me see if I can explain myself.
I am making a 2 layer 9x13 sheet cake and I am also making a "volcano" with the wonder mold pan.
I don't want to put the volcano on top but at the end of the sheet, I am going to cut off a corner of the sheet cake to where the volcano will fit up next to it like a puzzle. Does this make any since?

My problem is the 2 layer sheet cake is going to be about 3.5-4 inches tall, the volcano is going to be really short compared to it. I could bake a 8 inch round to set it on but I really don't need that much cake, I also really don't feel like baking anymore, I'm ready to start decorating tomorrow. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the volcano taller??

11 replies
booberfrog Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 8:12am
post #2 of 12

???
????
rice crispies?

sayhellojana Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 8:24am
post #3 of 12

Why don't you leave the corner on the sheet cake and support the volcano with a few dowels?

booberfrog Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 8:40am
post #4 of 12

I really don't want to try and transport it like that and my idea will have to be completly changed, plus I'll have to go buy more stuff and I am short on time. I would really prefer it to be next to it instead of on top.

Molly2 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 8:42am
post #5 of 12

or if you have time to get a 8 in round styrofoam the put under the volcano and dowel it you can ice it along with the cake and have good level support

Molly

Chippi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 9:54am
post #6 of 12

If you don't need that much cake leave out one layer of the 9x13 so it won't be so tall and your volcano will be tall enough icon_smile.gif

booberfrog Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:17am
post #7 of 12

when I said I don't need that much cake meant I didn;t need the extra servings a 8 in round would give me, I need the amount that the 2 layer 9x13 will provide!

Thanks though!

booberfrog Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:20am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2

or if you have time to get a 8 in round styrofoam the put under the volcano and dowel it you can ice it along with the cake and have good level support

Molly

I had thought of this, and I use to have one, I no longer have it and there is no place in the town that I live in to get one

ladybug76 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 11:15am
post #9 of 12

I may be jumping in on this too late, but if time permits, I always fall back on RKT (as you mentioned above) to mold / heighten objects when I don't need a cake filler. I'm just not sure you have enough time now for the krispies to harden to support the volcano.
Heck... if you will be attending the party, you could even use the cake pan (turned upside down) and cover w/ fondant as support. I've never tried this but may be a quick fix for your problem!!
Good Luck!
~ Jaime

joenshan Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 11:39am
post #10 of 12

The cake pan is a great idea. Also take a look around your kitchen...bowls, tupperware containers, small cookie tins from the holidays...good luck!

booberfrog Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:28pm
post #11 of 12

I think I might just do the rice crispies, I will be at the party,it's my son's b-day! But I am not using fondant, my family doesn't like the texure, and I have to say I really don't either, I usually only use it for accents.
Thanks for all the ideas.
If anyone has any more let me know, I have until about 7:30 tonight to figure something out!

sjbeatty8 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:44pm
post #12 of 12

What if you cut off some of the 9X13 cake and stacked the cut part under the volcano to raise it up. You would still have the same amount of cake (or close to the same) and you wouldnt have to bake anymore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%