How To: Cake In The Knot Ohio Mag.

Decorating By msauer Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 3:32pm by msauer

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:15am
post #1 of 14

I am looking at page 38 in the Spring/Summer 2009 issue of THE KNOT. A bride wants to meet with me regarding replicating this cake. I have tried to contact the person who is noted as the designer, but I've not yet gotten a response from her. I'd like some insight, but my scanner is unfortunately not working right now...(well, actually it may be operator error and my DH is in bed).

So, here's kind of a description (if anyone has any insight) until I can post an image:

The cake is three stacked round tiers. The base of each tier is decorated with half round (or upside down scallop) shape. Each half round looks like its piped with maybe a leaf tip turned on its side. At first glance it almost looks like a fan, but then you realize that there is row upon row of piped little points sticking up from it until you completely fill in the half circle. There is a second row as well, but these half circles only fill in at the intersection.

I guess more than anything I am looking to see if someone can tell me the size/style of tip used. I know it's hard without the picture.

Oh...and the cake is attributed to Creative Cake Designs.

Thanks, everyone!

-Michelle

13 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:44am
post #2 of 14

I didn't get it at all. Maybe you should find their website and link to the cake directly.

msauer Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks for the suggestions Chutzpah...I actually tried looking all over their site last night, but couldn't find it anywhere...maybe since the magazine is so new they haven't updated the site yet??????

I got my DH to scan the picture for me...I'll try to attach it now.

Thanks everyone!

-Michelle

Oh, and again...before I post it...I saved the file under the name of the person who likes it, not the creator of the cake (which I noted in my previous post.
LL

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 14

Oh dear, well, that is certainly..... different.

It looks kind of like the rose tip. Like when you make the first petal of a flat rosebud.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 14

My first guess is that they are piped chocolate--but they are sucha distinctive shade of off-white, yellowy white like cocoa buttery white chocolate they just appear to be chocolatey-ish perhaps.

I would charge extra for those somewhere in the neighborhood of $75-$100 give or take. If the bottom tier was a 14 or bigger, or if she wanted 4 tiers I'd adjust the upcharge ever upward.

Don't you think?

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 14

I believe chutzpah got it right with the petal tip. WOW! That is a LOT of piping! Good luck and wear a wrist brace! icon_wink.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 14

I couldn't dare tell you anything about that cake. But, those are very interesting looking. I really like them. I'll be watching for any answers. Let us know if you ever hear from the original decorator. Thanks.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 12:11am
post #8 of 14

I would hazard that the mum tip was used, either 80 or 81? That is a LOT of piping. Your hand is gonna be sooooo tired. I'd tackle that baby in several sessions, cause there's no way my hand could hold up to the whole cake at once. You might need to experiment with several different tips and icing thicknesses until you get it just right. Good luck!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 12:21am
post #9 of 14

I agree with chutzpah with it being a rose tip.

CinWoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CinWoo Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 12:32am
post #10 of 14

I have done a cake like that. It is a rose tip. Use a soft buttercream and the piping goes really quick. Take a round cookie cuutter and mark your butter cream. The insturctions are in one of the mag's I have. I'll look latter but I just got home and I'm tired. Grandson's first birthday.

sillyjodes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyjodes Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 1:43am
post #11 of 14

Wow, I think that's really neat. It's very post modern or something. I can't wait to try this.

SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 1:56am
post #12 of 14

I did that cake once too. i used a 101 rose tip. i marked the circles first like cinwoo said, then I piped the pink first and then the ivory. When I first saw it I was a little nervous but it wasn't really that bad. The bride was happy with it so I was happy!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 1:58am
post #13 of 14

beautiful cake !!! I like something different and...

msauer Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:32pm
post #14 of 14

Hey, guys...wanted to let you know that I did hear from the original decorator (isn't that really nice?)....so you nailed it...it was the 102 petal tip....

However, she didn't respond before I was meeting with the bride (who wanted to see a sample of my work). So, I just happened to be in my local cake supply store and asked the woman who has worked here FOREVER and a day...she said it looked like a 74 or 75. So, I went home and practiced with it and then showed the bride who said it was EXACTLY what she wanted (which was to look like a mum on the side of the cake). The hard thing to notice about this picture was that there is a definate ridge down the front of each of the petals, which is why she suggested the 74/75.

Oh well...it worked and it looks like I'll be using the 74....I'll post the picture when I actually do it this fall.

Thanks everyone! You are AWESOME as always!

-Michelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%