How To Get "true Red" Buttercream???

Decorating By Leetzie Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 3:50pm by Carolynlovescake

Leetzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leetzie Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 6:46am
post #1 of 11

I'm sure someone out there has the answer to this question. My friend made a Santa cake and couldn't get her buttercream to turn a true red. She used the Wilton red gel color (a whole jar) and it was a dark pink color. The last time I made red I used a whole jar of McCormick's red food coloring and some wilton gel and mine still wasn't deep red. So, how can you get buttercream a real deep red color???

Thanks,

Lisa

10 replies
mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 6:55am
post #2 of 11

I've used the wilton and the americolor and they both work pretty good. But Americolor works better. What I do is put the color in and let it sit for a while. THat's what I do with the black too, and then it turns darker by itself.

Also when I start using the buttercream and it crusts it turns darker.

HTH

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 7:02am
post #3 of 11

I use Americolor Super Red, letting it sit helps the color deepen a bit. Good luck.

Leetzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leetzie Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 11

Does anyone know where Americolor can be purchased? I don't think I have seen it at Micheals or JoAnn's.

Thanks

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetzie

Does anyone know where Americolor can be purchased? I don't think I have seen it at Micheals or JoAnn's.

Thanks

I order mine online from the Vanilla Food Company.

http://www.vanillafoodcompany.ca/default.asp

But it's in Canada. Try googling Americolor and you may find a place in the states that carries it.

Good luck!

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 11

I use Decopac's super red it does a real good job giving you a true red without the bitter taste.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetzie

Thanks

No they don't sell americolor at any local stores. I buy mine at global sugar art

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:46pm
post #8 of 11

I also use americolor and it works great, you don't have to use a ton to get the color you want and it does not alter the taste

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:51pm
post #9 of 11

I use Americolor and it gets really red, and is true, after it "sits" it gets darker. I got mines at Sams. bakery dept. You just ask them

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:52pm
post #10 of 11

I order Americolor from cakesbysam.com

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:50pm
post #11 of 11

When using Wilton colors get it a good solid orange first then add your no taste red.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%