Airbrushing

Decorating By Leetzie Updated 25 Jan 2009 , 8:14pm by CNCS

Leetzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leetzie Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 6:23am
post #1 of 9

I have just started decorating cakes in Sept. 2008 and have mostly worked with MMF. I just made two cakes with buttercream. I have noticed a lot of cakes that have decorations and coloring using airbrushing. I am considering getting an airbrush kit. Those of you that use it do you like it and was it worth the investment? Also, how much am I looking at spending on a nice kit for a beginner and where should I buy one from? Thanks for any info you can give me.

Thanks,

Lisa

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 9

If you make a lot of cakes it definitively is worth the investment.
If you only do an occasional cake for family it isn't.
It's not just the cost of the airbrush itself, the set of colors (special just for an airbrush) adds about $75+ to the price.

Fahina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fahina Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 9

I agree...worth the investment if you decide to do more than just "family gatherings". I bought one and I don't regret at all.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 9

My DH or Santa as the case may be....got me one for Christmas. I love it!! I havent quit airbrushing since I got it....

It was an investment tho....he bought an Iwata from Hobby Lobby it was about $150 on sale and then he ordered the wands from an online company about 80 dollars for two and then the paint...I bought Amerimist the starter kit of 12 for $16 and then I bought a few colors that I thought I would like outside the kit and they run about 1.49 each and not stopping there I bought the gold silver and pearl sheen from Amerimist.
You do the math....I would have been just as happy with the KopyKake kit but it just didnt work out that way. DH thought I needed one that adjusted, and I do like that feature.

So go for it!! It is a much used toy in my kitchen!!

MadeYaLook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadeYaLook Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 9

IS it easy to learn to use an airbrush? They intimidate me a bit.

Leetzie Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 12:39am
post #6 of 9

I guess I need to do my research on airbrushes. I'm not sure what an adjustable one versus others means. I do know I want to get one and I will use it. It beats kneading black fondant! I could just airbrush it and do so many other things. I did see one on Ebay which is a Powercat brand for $69.95. I wonder if that one will be a good one for me. If you are familiar with it let me know what you know and think about it.

Thanks,

Lisa

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 7:18am
post #7 of 9

Not sure what that one is ...the adjustment I was talking about is the pressure. It lets you adjust more or less. I turn mine down for buttercream, I don't want to blow any holes in it!! I ran it about 18 psi for a football cake today and it did great.

Leetzie Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 9

I saw a post somewhere about making an airbrush kit out of a nebulizer. Has anyone done this? I would think by the time I buy the gun and accessories I may as well just buy an airbrush kit with a compressor.

If anyone had made one let me know how it worked out for you.

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 9

I got mine from decopac. I enjoy it. I dont like how a mishap or bump with the icing leaves a white place in the icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%