Baby Bootie Help?

Decorating By lhayes1976 Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 8:34pm by twogirlsandacake

lhayes1976 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:37am
post #1 of 12

What do you use to make baby booties--fondant or gumpaste. Tonight I tried to use a cardstock template and gumpaste and what a disaster! First off what do you use to cut around a template and the gumpaste was really drying fast It was old gumpaste that I had to knead back to life, but it seemed okay. The poor little booties are just awful looking. The gumpaste just dried out almost instantly and the edges were so jagged where I tried to use a knife to cut out. Does plain fondant work better? My template was the one that granny3angels posted. More like a little Mary Jane bootie. I going to go ahead and use them on my baby shower cake for Sunday. I just add some fondant roses to hide the imperfections. I'm thinking of investing in a bootie cutter set.

11 replies
JanH Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:58am
post #2 of 12

I just recently made a pair of gumpaste baby booties, that I molded by hand (so they looked like socks w/flat bottoms). The gumpaste hardened up like plaster of paris very quickly.

Have read where mixing fondant w/gumpaste 1:1 resulted in a mixture that dried hard but didn't dry out too fast! (So more time to cut or model.)

Will try that next time.

Here's a thread on modelling and which paste/s to use:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-613360-.html

HTH

all4cake Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:20am
post #3 of 12

I do use a fondant gumpaste combination that is close to 50/50...I don't measure it so...

I use a cardstock pattern/template and use the Wilton cutter wheel (the little white one that has three interchangeable wheels) to cut around it. Then, trim any odd pieces with an X-acto knife...all while the template is still laying on the fondant/gumpaste. After that, I use either my finger or one of the stick type tools (white one with ball on one end and a curved point on the other...used to thin edges of flowers and things ) or a combination to smooth the edges.

Apply glue around edge of sole and carefully place top piece, starting at the toe and working around until all is affixed. I use plastic wrap wadded to insert in toe area...I do this directly after gluing toe area and before continuing around the rest of the bootie...this helps with positioning the rest of the top by taking out some of the slack that can be aggrevating when trying to glue...helps keep it from slipping around.

I just finished a pair night before last and they were dry enough to remove the plastic wrap the following morning and were dry enough to pick up and handle without any collapsing areas last night.

This is my second attempt at them in 3 years...the first time, I was impatient and didn't use the plastic in the toe portion until after I'd fought with gluing the top either. This time, I took my time (which really wasn't that long at all) and had my plastic ready for stuffing before I started.

http://cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/52155/bootieswpinklaces.JPG

kakeladi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 12

If you are looking for 'cutsie' instead of elegant try making them w/marshmallowsicon_smile.gif Super easy! You can see a couple of cakes where I have used them in my photo gallery.

sweetkisscakes Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 3:33am
post #5 of 12

another way you can do it is with butter cream and 2 cup cakes. take the paper off of two cupcakes, cut both in half lengthwise. lay one half cut side down and put the other half standing up behind it. then just star tip.

cakedout Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 12

I made a pair of the mary jane style in cold porcelain(pic in my photos) and they turned out pretty good....then I tried it again several months later and can't get a single nice pair! Grrrrr! icon_mad.gif

I think I definitely need a smaller/better cutting wheel!

And thanks, all4cake for the hint about using wads of plastic wrap! I've been using cotton dusted w/ cornstarch and had trouble with the cotton fibers sticking to my cold porcelain! icon_confused.gif

all4cake Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 12:24am
post #7 of 12

that's why i switched to plastic wrap...i didn't want anyone thinking uh, a hair got loose and wound up between the seams...ugh.

JanH Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:02am
post #8 of 12

Here's a similar thread that might be helpful:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-616146-.html

twogirlsandacake Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 12

Im looking for the Mary Jane bootie template but cant find it, please help!

Kathy

poohsmomma Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:19pm
post #10 of 12

I made three pairs for one triple baby shower cake and used only fondant. I put plastic wrap inside until they dried, and they set up just fine.

laje14 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:44am
post #11 of 12

I just made two pairs of them using gumpaste. I used the Wilton cutter wheel also. I bought pair of baby booties for a baby shower and took the plastic inserts out to dry the gumpaste on. They worked really well. The edges were a little rough, but I smoothed them out with a little Crisco. They came out really cute.

twogirlsandacake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:34pm
post #12 of 12

I found this and it worked great - i didnt use the little tabs, just secured with vanilla and worked great! Stuffed with plastic wrap until dry

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%